Don't SPlit the List & Other Thoughts

From noreastah <noreastah@acadia.net>
Date Thu, 28 Oct 1999 17:02:46 -0400
In-reply-to <Pine.LNX.4.10.9910271202580.8159-100000@dojo.tao.ca>
References <Pine.LNX.4.10.9910271044300.5408-100000@eris.io.com>

[: hacktivism :]

At 05:41 PM 10/27/99 +0000, you wrote:
>[: hacktivism :]
>
>Uhhhhh - Stefan.... if we can't have one healthy list, I don't understand
>what the rationale for splitting it into three unhealthy lists could
>be....

I AGREE!

>Let's just focus on getting the list that we've got back to what it was
>before JED (ie: before the flood of new subscribers).... and have some
>discussion here that comes down to more than - "i'm really paranoid and
>have lots of reasons to be" or "you are so uncool cause you don't know how
>to be a hacker" or whatever seems to be filling my box this past week.

I still haven't quite figured out what the purpose of this list is though I
have enjoyed a small percentage of the postings.

I guess the point in my joining this list was to increase my technical
knowledge so that I could use this against various powerful entities that I
feel are have too much control over society (perhaps some sort of weird
David vs. Goliath fantasy I have???). Probably I naive thought...

How have people effectively used computers and the internet against
exploitive corporations?

I think http://www.ainfos.ca/ is a great thing. Yes it's just a news web
site, but I would probably have no other way to knowing about some of the
stories contained on it if it didn't exist.

I think the EDT is a well intentioned but perhaps not very effecive method
of protest. Don't get me wrong though - I'm glad some folks are trying new
and creative ways to protest! Gawd knows we need that!

I still very much like the idea(s) of http://www.rtmark.com

I like the idea that of having a http://www.subvertise.org/ (still
unfinished) web site that can be used to distribute radical graphics
worldwide.

I'm glad someone spoofed that asshole running for president in the USA
George W Bush at http://www.gwbush.com/

I'd don't think anyone is going to really learn much about hacking on this
list (judging from what's been posted so far), so what practice projects
can people suggest that haven't already been done???

Also can we start to have people post things about issues NOT related to
JED?! Every other gawd-dang message I get from this list seems to mention it.

noreastah