Re: http://www.zdnet.com/zdnn/special/aussie.html

From Parsifal <noosph@noosph.org>
Date Tue, 7 Sep 99 00:47:19 +0300

[: hacktivism :]

You wrote on 7/09/99 4:07 from Mark Jeftovic markjr@privateworld.com

>[: hacktivism :]
>
>At 11:09 PM 9/6/99 +0300, Parsifal wrote:
>>[: hacktivism :]
>>
>>If you think the KKK or other groups like them are not allowed to have a
>>web site, and that freedom of speech has to be limited, just have a look
>>at this URL :
>>

>I don't think in this entire thread anyone has said "KKK shouldn't be
>allowed to have a website". Most netizens know that's unenforcable
>and dangerous. I think the prevailing sentiment is nobody's heart
>bleeds if the KKK get their site cracked.
>
>Agreeing with Nick, hacking a web page is pretty pointless in itself
>and accomplishes nothing. "Barely a hack" ? Well in cracker jargon people
>who hack web pages usually belong to a certain underclass called "script
>kiddies". With all the disdain the term implies.
>
>Here's a hypothetical construct: a misguided system cracker leaves the
>web site to the script kiddies and goes after the Holy Grail, membership
>and financial contribution data of a KKK chapter and posts them on the
>net. Among the names named are politicians, beaurocrats, law enforcement,
>lobbyists, etc. Media frenzy ensues, Klansman duck and run for cover.
>Before the dust settles, another chapter's records are hit and posted.
>More embarassment, more outings.
>
>Internally the Klan is in chaos, accusations and counter-accusations fly,
>deep divisions occur, funding withdrawn by panicked contributors,
>sanctions made (read: some record keepers get clipped), and fledglings
>new to the organization are scared off in terror.
>
>This kind of thing happening is only a matter of time. My scenario paints
>a nice warm fuzzy situation, the big bad Klansman take it up the ass because
>of a system cracker. Most of these situations will be starker and darker.
>Extortions, smear campaigns, and outings of all varieties.
>
>If you think these tactics "accomplish nothing" you are naive. They will
>have real world effects and consequences and the people who will do this
>will not sit around and wait for "the underlying causes of hate to be
>discovered and dealt with".

Indeed. If such a thing had to occur, this could shut down the KKK. And
then ?
What I mean is that you cannot ban racism by shutting down the KKK.

There are numerous organizations sharing the same ideas....because there
are a lot of people attracted by them : what i meaned by "supply and
demand".

If nobody was attracted by racist ideas, there would be no KKK.

These organizations are just SYMPTOMS of racism. You don't cure something
by killing the symptoms.
When i speak of the underlying cause of racism and hate, i think they are
the true disease, its roots.
And yes, it may take a long time to find them out, but as long as you
limit yourself to attack symptoms, you will never get rid of the disease,
which again and again will reappear, producing new symptoms.

and, BTW, do you think they would be stupid enough to keep online their
members data ? really ?
And do you think there are so many influent people in their organization
?. If it was the case, they would have the power to gag the media,
wouldn't they ?

Parsifal