Re: http://www.zdnet.com/zdnn/special/aussie.html

From Mark Jeftovic <markjr@privateworld.com>
Date Mon, 06 Sep 1999 18:07:03 -0700
In-reply-to <199909062108.RAA29344@tao.ca>

[: hacktivism :]

At 11:09 PM 9/6/99 +0300, Parsifal wrote:
>[: hacktivism :]
>
>If you think the KKK or other groups like them are not allowed to have a
>web site, and that freedom of speech has to be limited, just have a look
>at this URL :

I don't think in this entire thread anyone has said "KKK shouldn't be
allowed to have a website". Most netizens know that's unenforcable
and dangerous. I think the prevailing sentiment is nobody's heart
bleeds if the KKK get their site cracked.

Agreeing with Nick, hacking a web page is pretty pointless in itself
and accomplishes nothing. "Barely a hack" ? Well in cracker jargon people
who hack web pages usually belong to a certain underclass called "script
kiddies". With all the disdain the term implies.

Here's a hypothetical construct: a misguided system cracker leaves the
web site to the script kiddies and goes after the Holy Grail, membership
and financial contribution data of a KKK chapter and posts them on the
net. Among the names named are politicians, beaurocrats, law enforcement,
lobbyists, etc. Media frenzy ensues, Klansman duck and run for cover.
Before the dust settles, another chapter's records are hit and posted.
More embarassment, more outings.

Internally the Klan is in chaos, accusations and counter-accusations fly,
deep divisions occur, funding withdrawn by panicked contributors,
sanctions made (read: some record keepers get clipped), and fledglings
new to the organization are scared off in terror.

This kind of thing happening is only a matter of time. My scenario paints
a nice warm fuzzy situation, the big bad Klansman take it up the ass because
of a system cracker. Most of these situations will be starker and darker.
Extortions, smear campaigns, and outings of all varieties.

If you think these tactics "accomplish nothing" you are naive. They will
have real world effects and consequences and the people who will do this
will not sit around and wait for "the underlying causes of hate to be
discovered and dealt with".

I'm not saying I'm endorsing any of this since it doesn't matter whether
I do or not. As far as the Australian thing goes, it's dumb, everyone
knows it, and it won't stop one bit of pr0n from entering the continent.

-mark