Re: CASS scholars warn about neo-liberalism

From Jonathan Lassen <jjlassen@chinastudygroup.org>
Date Mon, 15 Nov 2004 11:40:15 -0500
Cc zhongguo@openflows.org
In-reply-to <Pine.GSO.4.53.0411121614390.9396@lewis>
References <4195074E.3020204@chinastudygroup.org> <12952343.1100262755@staffinstall.lclark.edu> <41952D1E.4030502@chinastudygroup.org> <Pine.GSO.4.53.0411121614390.9396@lewis>
User-agent Mozilla Thunderbird 0.6 (Windows/20040502)

Marty,

Yes, it sounds like they're using a foreign example to criticize what's
happening in China. Only they're a little late, since non-establishment
intellectuals have been launching very broad criticisms of
neo-liberalism in China for years now.

I'm not sure how much leeway this could the leaders, since they would
have to cut through seriously entrenched interest groups in order change
the neoliberal tack. And it's not clear why they would want to do that,
since they are actually beholden to thost interest groups to prevent
China from exploding into unrest.

Cheers,

Jonathan