Re: Help destroy eToys.com!

From "Me Uh, K." <pram512@yahoo.com>
Date Wed, 15 Dec 1999 14:50:34 -0800 (PST)

[: hacktivism :]

I'm not so sure about that.  I've recieved 2 seperate
calls to action/press releases, both of which
reccomend that I use alternate sites to buy toys for
the kids on my list.  (last time I checked, Kbtoys.com
wasn't driving independant artists off the web)

It's just a question of proper levels of education.
We can say 'etoys is evil' until we're blue in the
face and bloody in the fingertips, but if we say
'etoys is evil, shop here instead' we come across as
activists intent on keeping people informed and
shopping properly, not just a bunch of
computer-grinches who hate toy sites.

And if we do manage to 'Destroy Etoys' well, that
creates a certain cause-and-effect respect/fear for
the general population in the eyes of the big
buisnesses.  If we manage to drive etoys out of
buisness, well, perhaps in the future, companies will
think twice before acting in our 'best intrests' by
preventing us from accessing pronographic, subversive
art.
It's almost more a matter of 'internet for users' -
protecting our fiberoptic from the same companies that
we think are so evil when they're on the corner -
proving that a bunch of lawyers don't make laws here,
and that we won't give it up easily.
(after all, I helped build the internet, and I hate to
see how low it's sunk in just a few years of
mass-usage)

but maybe that's just my rambling, idealistic 2 cents.

-mia k. (slowly working her way through her back-log
of messages)

--- "Morrison, Catherine E" <morrisce@jmu.edu> wrote:

[Snipped like the delete key could make my computer
Y2K Compliant]