Re: Help destroy eToys.com!

From Bronc Buster <bronc@2600.com>
Date Mon, 13 Dec 1999 23:15:08 -0500 (EST)
Cc hacktivism@tao.ca

[: hacktivism :]

On Mon, 13 Dec 1999, RTMARK Admin wrote:

> Bronc, we do realize our portrayal of hackers is cartoonish--but then, so
> is our portrayal of ourselves, of etoy, of eToys....

Did I read the wrong press release? Is the one at the bottom of this post
not the one you sent out? Please point me to the cartoonish one. I must of
missed something!

> No one really thinks we're going to destroy eToys. It's a sensationalist
> press release--we're trying to show that what eToys is doing to etoy is so
> egregiously awful that the equal and opposite response is a campaign to
> destroy eToys.

This is totaly irresponsible! If someone released a serious post calling
for the destruction of a company, people will take it seriously. Who is
this "no one" anyways? How is this "no one" going to know this is some
kind of hoax or a joke? And how is lowering yourself to their level
helping anything? Come on now...There are no legs to stand on here. The
net has been referred to as a "wild west" type world, but what happened
back then? Lawlessness brought in the government; people started taking
the law into their hands and it became an eye for an eye type environment.
We can not let the net as a whole turn into this. If we can not police
ourselves in a responciable manner, with activism, hacktivism, or other
non-destructive means, who else is going to police us?

I think we all know the answer to that question.

regards,
   Bronc Buster
  bronc@2600.com