Re: Help destroy eToys.com!

From RTMARK Admin <admin@rtmark.com>
Date Tue, 14 Dec 1999 11:02:23 -0500 (EST)
Cc hacktivism@tao.ca

[: hacktivism :]

> > No one really thinks we're going to destroy eToys. It's a sensationalist
> > press release--we're trying to show that what eToys is doing to etoy is so
> > egregiously awful that the equal and opposite response is a campaign to
> > destroy eToys.
>
> This is totaly irresponsible! If someone released a serious post calling
> for the destruction of a company, people will take it seriously. Who is
> this "no one" anyways? How is this "no one" going to know this is some
> kind of hoax or a joke? And how is lowering yourself to their level

It is *not* a hoax or a joke--we really do want to damage eToys. But we
don't think we can destroy them, and people realize it's hyperbole (see
for example http://www.zdnet.com/intweek/, top story, quote marks).

We're trying to teach them a lesson, a la Shell Oil / Brent Spar.
Ideally a precedent will be set that will show companies what "going too
far" means.

> helping anything? Come on now...There are no legs to stand on here. The
> net has been referred to as a "wild west" type world, but what happened
> back then? Lawlessness brought in the government; people started taking
> the law into their hands and it became an eye for an eye type environment.

If we rely on quiet due process to take care of things, corporations will
just keep making that due process fit with their values. They've spent the
last hundred+ years getting laws enacted that reinterpret the Constitution
in extremely strange ways. Not only are they persons according to the 14th
Amendment (written to protect the rights of freed slaves), but their money
is equivalent to their speech (perhaps because it's the only way they
express themselves)--that's why they can lobby, one tool they use to
rewrite the law.

The law simply does not work in this case. etoy is having to spend
an ungodly sum on lawyers every day, just to keep the case alive, so they
don't lose the domain by default. This is not the way it should be.

> We can not let the net as a whole turn into this. If we can not police
> ourselves in a responciable manner, with activism, hacktivism, or other
> non-destructive means, who else is going to police us?
>
> I think we all know the answer to that question.

Frankly, if the answer is "the government," I'd find that far preferable
to having the whole thing be at the mercy of corporations and their needs.
Governments can of course be satanically awful, but in democracies they
are at least somewhat responsive to popular needs and desires.
Corporations are not, except insofar as they absolutely must be to
preserve their bottom line.

Ideally, what we're doing here would create enough momentum that laws
could be changed. Failing that, at least there will be a precedent, and
corporations will see that they have to be at least slightly in the thrall
of human decency on the net. That's the idea.

ernest lucha