Re: reuters: hacker jailed for stock manipulation

From Bronc Buster <bronc@2600.com>
Date Mon, 15 Nov 1999 11:55:59 -0500 (EST)
In-reply-to <199911151633.LAA09212@lists.tao.ca>

[: hacktivism :]

As usual, this is a case of the media labeling anyone having anything to
do with a computer, a 'hacker'. This is FUD. These people were
'criminals'; thives to be more exact. Not hackers.

They used to work at a firm and had inside information as to how the
system works. Who knows, maybe they had control over the system that they
'hacked' in the first place. It's like saying a bank teller is a hacker
because they put some money in their pocket, told the computer someone
made a withdraw, and walk out of the bank after work.

This story  not only has nothing to do with hacking, but is about as far
away from 'hacktivism' as you can get.

regards,
   Bronc Buster
  bronc@2600.com