Re: Burn All GIFs Day (fwd)

From Angela Gunn <agunn@dorsai.org>
Date Wed, 03 Nov 1999 23:54:26 -0800
In-reply-to <Pine.NEB.4.05.9911040004480.8804-100000@phalse.2600.com>
References <3.0.5.32.19991103192518.0099dbd0@pop.dorsai.org>

[: hacktivism :]

Hi BroncBuster -- thanks. Though the W3 has much to offer still (would you
rather Microsoft was the loudest voice in the standards debate? officially
in addition to realistically, I mean?), they're beating a skeletal horse re
PNG. And JPG isn't the answer for all images; if it's continuous-tone
images you need, absolutely JPG is superior, but your average icon is going
to be a teensy bit more efficiently compressed by our friend the GIF.

What I *really* want to know is how effectively the W3C can "enforce" the
Platform for Privacy Preferences (P3P), and how limited/fragile/vulnerable
the standard really is. Any hactivists taken a whack at this thing yet?
(BroncB, is 2600 on the case? Has there been a writeup yet? If so, please
point me in the right direction to read it; I'm afraid I haven't been
keeping up with the zine since I left NYC. Most truly my bad.)

What Unisys *can* do is enforce their license arrangement. Usurious terms
are indeed unrealistic; collecting a moderate licensing fee from developers
is OTOH quite manageable, and they'd be fools to risk losing their patent
rights through non-enforcement. However, does anyone know if they're
plowing *any* of that money back into, oh, improving the algorithm? Or is
that too much to hope for...?

Curious, and interested to hear what knowledgeable folk make of P3P --
AG.