Re: Burn All GIFs Day (fwd)

From noreastah <noreastah@acadia.net>
Date Wed, 03 Nov 1999 22:32:35 -0500
In-reply-to <Pine.GSO.4.05.9911031744370.16917-100000@shell1>

[: hacktivism :]

At 05:45 PM 11/3/99 -0800, you wrote:

>Unisys Corporation, owner of the patent for GIF technology, is asking
>for a FIVE THOUSAND DOLLAR license fee from Web authors who use GIF
>files on their sites.

Good f'in luck collecting their $5,000.00! How many web sites use GIFs? -
Like almost all of them!? Why take down your gifs? How many people can they
really afford to sue?

I'm no lawyer but I'm not sure how they can do this at this point. Seems
like the horse is already out of the barn.

noreastah (who's thinking of patenting the wheel and charging a $5000.00
licensing fee for it's use...)