Re: Burn All GIFs Day (fwd)

From Angela Gunn <agunn@dorsai.org>
Date Wed, 03 Nov 1999 19:25:18 -0800
In-reply-to <Pine.GSO.4.05.9911031744370.16917-100000@shell1>

[: hacktivism :]

Oh, crikey.

Nevermind the obvious FUD (get the facts at
http://slashdot.org/articles/99/08/31/0143246.shtml: Unisys is gunning for
software companies that make freeware that uses but doesn't license LZW
compression) -- how exactly do you burn a GIF? You're going to what, print
it out? Then you'll be burning a piece of paper, big deal. You're going to
burn a floppy? Then you're burning some plastic, big stinky deal. Perhaps
you'll consider tattooing a GIF on your ass before immolation, at which
point you might get some truly interesting media coverage. (Since the 5th
is also Guy Fawkes Day, you might consider stencilling your GIFs on the
side of a firework or two, but I like the other solution better.)

There is, of course, an interesting underlying issue here -- the
open-source movement and corporate control over patentable material such as
algorithms. There's also a question of what will become of the GIMP, an
interesting product all by itself. There is not, however, a threat to
non-profits of any stripe; no one wants $5000 from you. If you're
concerned, check with the company that created the software package you
used to create your site's GIFs; if they're licensed, of if you're using
freeware with an unlicensed version of LZW *but* your site is non-profit,
you're jake.

But spreading FUD is right out. Damn, two of these hysterical outbursts in
two days; is it my imagination or has this formerly-engaging list been
getting downright stupid? Or is the world such a happy place now that we
can frolic about with harebrained protests on non-issues? I could've
*sworn* there was still a dictatorship in Burma, oppression in Mexico, and
brutal prison conditions in the USA, but I guess that was a lie put forth
by Unisys and the US Postal Service to throw us off the scent...

Old enough to know how to pick her battles, but apparently still young
enough to be annoyed by those who don't --
AG.