Re: chuckO - what's a girl to do?

From Pan <jaimelm@umich.edu>
Date Thu, 04 Nov 1999 02:43:03 -0500
Organization Sensory Research
References <19991104043027.19412.rocketmail@web602.mail.yahoo.com>

[: hacktivism :]

In the eight grade I was almost expelled for publishing an underground
paper. The punishment ended up being a two week long suspension along
with a host of other tasks.

It all started when I began reading Maximum Rock ' Roll. They had a
section for "zine" listings on the inside back cover. There were also
some zines available at the local inde record store. This, combined with
the music of the Dead Kennedys, inspired me to try publishing. The
reactions of absolute horror from school staff convinced me I was on the
right track : ) Looking back on the content, it was angry, idealistic,
intelligent and naive. The whole experience was exhilarating. There was
a lot of learning on the part of the readers and myself. Now I do the
same thing on the web and the DIY vibe still resonates.

My suggestion to those who get caught up in school censorship? You have
a gift. Find other ways to relay the message. With a vast array modern
communication tools at our disposal, there are other methods. Use
cunning and ingenuity. You won't fail.

Pan