Re: Hacktivism list questionnaire..?

From Michael James Pruitt <mpruitt@cs.uah.edu>
Date Thu, 21 Oct 1999 11:57:08 -0500
In-reply-to Your message of "Thu, 21 Oct 1999 10:10:00." <199910210056.KAA04074@canberra.start.com.au>

> Got this privately from "Grugnog":
[snip]
> Did others get this questionaire?

Yes, I also received this questionaire. The headers *looked*
valid, but I didn't care much for the content,so the email
quickly found its way into the bit bucket. If I *WERE* engaged
in questionable activities, why would I admit to it in email?

A poorly written story, very loosely based on real life:
(not fit to read, but interesting to embelish upon
and forward)

"An open email to Mole"

The worst thing about that last drug deal was the way the
CIA dude almost botched the whole affair. "Certified Information
Associate" Ha! Agent Smiley (the handle he uses when dealing with
"hacker" groups) thinks he's the bomb, but he doesn't know how
to spell "botulism" or "nuclear" (worse, he pronounces it
"nuke-u-lar".) Speaking of mispronounciations, he kept referring
to that agent in the Cayman Islands as a "real-uh-tor". So what
if Smiley has an off-shore bank account? What's the use in having
a swiss bank account if you don't have several million dollars
stashed in it (presumably without any government higher-ups
finding out about it).

Oh, hey, thanks for that killer bootleg compilation you mailed
to my PO Box. Expect a money order via snail mail to cover your
expenses. I really liked Special Op's version of "Love is the
Drug". The remix of Dali's Handgun was pretty good as well. I
didn't really care for the tracks by Acousitic Assault, Rifle
Rhythm, or Kill the Pigs. However, Anthrax's cover of Tiffany's
song "Drop the Bomb" was a real riot!

Did I tell you that Shelley *finally* finished her thesis on
"post-modern anti-governemnet activities as a new form of politics"?
Okay, it's a dry read, but the parts about the government's cover-up
of Waco was pretty good. Gave me some stuff to think about. And
what she had to say about Ruby Ridge was pretty good. I realize
that she was merely quoting the extremists, but reading the lines
"overthrow the government by any means possible" sent deadly
shivers down my spine. Almost makes me want to kill a president
or senator. At least I'd get my fifteen minutes of fame. ;)

I finally finished reading Stevenson's "Cryptonomicon". It's got
some great stuff about strong cryptography and the implications
of its use to subvert governments and avoid taxes was pretty cool.
Lots of killer information about enigma and bletchley park and all
of those other clandestine things that "they" would rather you
not know about. It's a really thick book, but definitely worth the
read.

Did you hear that Jay's working on a screenplay? It's called
"Emergency Powers Act". It's all about a bloodless coup in which
FEMA uses the Y2K bug as an excuse to enact martial law. The
opening title screen has a quote: "FEMA is prepared to implement
the Federal Response Plan if necessary." -- from the FEMA for kids
Y2K site, http://www.fema.gov/kids/y2kfema.htm (the scary thing
is, it's an actual page! "hey kids! The government is going to
take control of every aspect of your lives~ Doesn't that sound
fun?) The United States government is effectively overthrown and
the bad guys win. But only in the short term. FEMA released active
biological agents upon Washington DC and tried to make it look like
a covert enemy attack. The plan backfires when the evil "powers
that be" in FEMA become infected themselves and are forced to
give the CDC the antidote.

Speaking of plans backfiring, did I tell you that I got the results
of my FOIA query back from the FBI? I have a file! Apparently
it all started when I was at SummerCon in Atlanta. Remember how
I met DeathVeggie of the cDc and we talked about illegal drugs
all night? Well, apparently there was some young guy (the freak
with the hat that kept trying to give Chris a hug) who was sodomized
by Emmanuel Goldstein (even though the act ws consensual). They
were trying to get a case together against Goldstein, claiming that
he was in a child pornography ring. No statute of limitations on
statutory rape, *AND* both Emmanuel (travel expenses paid for by
2600) and the kid crossed state lines to get to Atlanta, making
it a federal offense. So, anyhoo, I was getting plastered with
deathveggie and some of the other guys there and emmanuel and his
boytoy arrived. Thus my connection to the whole sordid affair.
As far as I know, nothing ever happened to Goldstein, so they must
have dropped the child pornography lead. So, I'm under the
watch of the feds. It's a good thing there wasn't anything about
my hacking activities in malaysia.

Anyways, I hope this letter makes as many hits where it counts.
your fellow conspirator,
thomas metnick (kevin? we're not related, and I don't want to
see him free)