Re: IS BIG BROTHER READING YOUR E-MAIL (fwd)

From Patrick Riley <priley@newsdigital.com>
Date Thu, 21 Oct 1999 13:04:24 -0400

[: hacktivism :]

Hey Megan,

I'm writing about "Jam Echelon Day" today. As a member of the hacktivism
list, would you be available briefly to discuss it?

Please respond by email or phone.

Thanks.

Patrick Riley
reporter, Foxnews.com
(212) 462-5713

At 04:09 pm 10/21/99 +0000, you wrote:
>[: hacktivism :]
>

>NEW YORK POST 10-21-99
>
>IS BIG BROTHER
>READING YOUR E-MAIL?
>
> By ROD DREHER
>
> WANT to give a big, fat finger to Big Brother today? Fax or e-mail this
>column to a friend. Be sure to include the following words:
>
>Unabomber. Anthrax. Fissionable plutonium. North Korea. Militia. Delta
Force.
>Ruby Ridge.
>
>If the suspicions of Rep. Bob Barr (R-Ga.), the American Civil Liberties
>Union and cyber-libertarian "hacktivists" are correct, your fax or e-mail
>containing those words will have been intercepted by a sophisticated
official
>electronic monitoring system called "Echelon."
>
>Echelon is a supersecret global surveillance network, run by the U.S.
>National Security Agency, in conjunction with the governments of Britain,
>Canada, Australia and New Zealand.
>
>Echelon is said to intercept and sift through countless electronic
>transmissions daily, filtering out those with particular "keywords" that
>could signal a security threat. The purloined posts are later analyzed.
>
>Hacktivists around the world have scheduled today as "Jam Echelon Day."
>They're encouraging computer users to flood the Internet with e-mails
>containing suspected keywords, hoping the deluge will short-circuit
Echelon's