Re: Hacktivism list questionnaire..?

From megan <megan@tao.ca>
Date Thu, 21 Oct 1999 13:30:02 -0400 (EDT)
In-reply-to <199910211657.LAA15067@eagle.cs.uah.edu>

[: hacktivism :]

Okay - this stuff about the questionnaire is getting totally dumb....

The idea for the questionnaire arose after a discussion on tao-org between
jesse and grugnog (essentially).... it is in fact legit ( to the degree
that anything is - I mean, really anyone could be maintaing this list if
you want to go that far with it - do you really know, do I?)

I don't believe that grugnog is asking for the specifics of when anyone
engaged in illegal activist activity - just general topics of activism
that people might be interested in, or have done. Like to say, I am a
feminist activist - does not imply that I have done anything illegal,
ever, to promote the cause of feminism.... it just means that I consider
the politics of feminism to be worthy of activism (just an example).

People don't have to answer the questionnaire - but the paranoia on this
list gets a bit overwhelming after awhile - i mean, there are lots of
reasons to be paranoid, but a list questionnaire ain't one of them (i
mean, it's not like it reads - What illegal activities have you engaged in
in the past six months? or anything like that)....

The questionnaire is part of some discussions some of the tao folx have
been having about accountability on our lists, making things open and
accessible etc... not a CSIS (or FBI, or COINTELPRO) plot.....

Megan
(who also maintains a bunch o tao lists...)

"If we are to vent our riotous anger let it be before they try to murder
Mumia Abu-Jamal, not after."
   ----------------------Michael Parenti, 1995
Find me at - http://www.tao.ca/~megan