Re: [n5m3-debates] HAPPY JAM ECHELON DAY!!

From rdom@thing.net
Date Thu, 21 Oct 1999 12:58:48 -0400
References <199910211631.MAA17257@lists.tao.ca>

[: hacktivism :]

>t byfield wrote:

> --- The Next 5 Minutes 3 Public Debates List -- http://www.n5m.org ---
>
> this isn't a list of what interests surveillance forces, it's
> a list of what interests american leftists. ('oliver north'?
> why not 'watergate' or even 'teapot dome scandal'?)

watergate FBI teapot dome scandal CIA THING NSA IRS ATF N5M
RHIZOME BATF DOD

> but that
> doesn't quite capture it, even: really, it read like a sort
> of informatic version of a medieval bestiary or heresiology--
> a _summa_ of the specters and bogeys who formed the lesser
> pantheon, all connected through webs of resemblance and fili-
> ation. i think it's now fairly well established that, for
> example, intercourse with the woman 'superior' doesn't lead
> to an infant being born backwards; and i think it's widely
> accepted that that older belief was a very literal expression
> of the subordination of women. i trust that, in time, we will
> also recognize that the main function of 'surveillance'--at
> least as regards his hodgepodge--is not what it actually ac-
> complishes but, rather, the ways in which its specter serves
> to dampen and distort human activity.

an imaginary meme can kick start and become part of
real long term work.

The zapatistas speak of an intergalactic network (an imaginary meme)
that has created long term work by many groups and individuals....
what are the tales of Durito of not myths....perhaps with these
simple gestures and specters more people will become aware of Echelon and
begin the long term work...much in the same way that Gran Fury's
simple silence=death moved ACT UP to do something.

> not only are you actively engaged in a propagating profound
> misunderstanding of how surveillance systems work; and not
> only is this 'hacktivist' meme far more useful in providing
> surveillance agencies with a case study in propagation and
> participation networks and densities; and not only are you
> transparently projecting american cultural globs onto an
> international, intercultural network (of course 'because the
> surveillors are american' etc.); and not only are you pro-
> moting a warm-fuzzy one-day exercise where constant effort
> is needed; but, worst of all, you're promoting a shrill
> paranoia whose main fruit is to undermine bonds of trust
> *even if someone is listening*.

well should we keep everything secret--because
surveillance agencies will study us and then
do more terrible things--my sense is that they will
do terrible things no matter what we do--at least
we speak up and share the information with other
communities beyond the networks--that is what
the imaginary of the hacktivist meme can do--
then people who say the know the truth about how
Echelon really works and about how the US
supports it etc will begin to published among
multiple media layers.

we are talking now and spreading and that is good--no?

a warm fuzzy ciao,