Re: Let's get to work

From pete <pete@tao.ca>
Date Sun, 10 Oct 1999 15:59:55 +0000 (GMT)
In-reply-to <19991010153552.84352.qmail@hotmail.com>

[: hacktivism :]

> are to be expected to have leaks so we should consider that this list best
> functions for media events, electronic sit-ins, etc.

As somebody who came here to discuss the social implications of using
technology to create real change (ie not filling up the automatically
deleted logs of some web server with angry page requests) I am
disappointed that the folks dominating this list think this is a
progressive route to take.

So far all we've created is a new distribution point for press releases
most of us receive on other lists. I don't personally think that Jam
Echelon day will do much beyond generating attention for more press
releases, although this seems to be your intent so I wish you the best of
luck.

I used to think I was a hacktivist by virtue of being somebody whose
activism and use of tech is intrinsically tied. However, if hacktivism is
what is happening on this list, I suppose that I'm not a hacktivist, and
that the old saying "Define yourself by your actions, not by your -ism's"
holds very true.

Who knows, perhaps the revolution will be encapsulated in a series of
naughty words encapsulated in press releases - but I don't think so.

Pete