Re: JAM ECHELON DAY - possible links

From ricardo dominguez <rdom@thing.net>
Date Thu, 07 Oct 1999 14:18:52 -0400
Organization The Thing
References <19991007173806.53401.qmail@hotmail.com>

Hola all,

Thought you RT's might like to put this action up on RTMARK site--if
you haven't already. EDT will put up a front page link to the Action
also...but the more links...the better the party!

Also Robert--u might check out the links section on the EDT site
for some possible info links for the echelon jam site:

http://www.thing.net/~rdom/ecd/links.html

ciao,
ricardo

Robert Kemp wrote:

[: hacktivism :]

MASSIVE DISINFO CAMPAIGN UNDERWAY RE: JAM ECHELON DAY

JAM ECHELON WEB SITE UP BUT STILL UNDER CONSTRUCTION:
http://www.echelon.wiretapped.net/

CONTENTS
--------

1. the original alert
2. the story as it originally appeared in Wired News
3. the second alert, intended to act as a counter to the
   disinformation
4. the first response from Linda Thompson of the AJF
5. the second response from Linda Thompson
6. a short note
ITEM 1
------

Subject: PLEASE DISTRIBUTE WIDELY: Global JAM ECHELON Day [Oct. 21]

http://www.wodip.opole.pl/~laslo/Echelon-links.html

STAND UP FOR THE FREEDOM TO EXCHANGE INFORMATION!

We the monitored have decided to stand up against the very real, very
intrusive, and ultimately oppressive global surveillance system known as
Echelon. Echelon is a vast mainframe set up by the New World Disorder in
order to monitor the world's electronic communications for subversive
keywords. Every time you send someone an email with keywords like
"revolution" and "hacktivism" [for instance], Echelon's computers make a
note of it. If you forward emails with regularity with words on Echelon's
extensive keyword list, you may be marked for human "hands-on" monitoring.

On October 21, 1999 , netizens around the globe are implored to send out at
least one email with at least 50 keyword words. You need not be privy to
knowing exactly what words Echelon uses. It is safe to assume that words
such as "revolution" and "manifesto" and "revolt" [etc.] will work. Just be
sure to sound as subversive as possible. There isn't even any need to write
a cohesive paragraph or sentence. Echelon's computers does not understand
the language anyway. It only knows to look for certain words. By doing this
we can at least temporarily jam the global surveillance system.

This day of action will be timed to preceed Stop Police Brutality Day by one
day so that emails about actions can be sent out with little scrutiny due to
what will already be an enormous workload for Echelon.

Now is a chance for anyone, regardless of computer expertise, to become an
instant hacktivist - best of all, no software is needed [other than your
regular email program].

Of course, feel free to conduct such subversiveness any time. The larger
Echelon's workload, the more free our speech.

After October 1, we ask global netizens to merely stop censoring themselves
for fear of spooky scrutiny. By merely deciding to speak in the spirit of
unabashedly subverting the DOMINANCE paradigm, we will make it quite
difficult for Echelon to do its job.

ITEM 2
------

*****
THIS ARTICLE HAS BEEN CHANGED TO LIST THE DATE AS OCTOBER 21, 1999[not
before widely disseminating disinformation] SEE:
http://www.wired.com/news/news/politics/story/22102.html
*****

Hackers Ascend Upper 'Echelon'
by James Glave

3:00 a.m. 6.Oct.99.PDT

Mossad. Bomb. Davidian. M15.

If the hunch of a loose-knit group of cyber-activists is correct, the above
words will trip the keyword recognition filter on a global spy system partly
managed by the US National Security Agency.

The near-mythical worldwide computer spy network reportedly scans all email,
packet traffic, telephone conversations -- and more -- around the world, in
an effort to ferret out potential terrorist or enemy communications.

Once plucked from the electronic cloud, certain keywords allegedly trigger a
recording of the conversation or email in question.
Privacy activists have used the words in their signature files for years as
a running schtick, but on 18 October, the American Justice Federation hopes
to trip up Echelon on a much wider scale.

"What is [Echelon] good for?" asked Linda Thompson, a constitutional rights
attorney and chairman of the American Justice Federation.

"If you want to say we can catch criminals with it, it is insane that anyone
should be able to snoop on anyone's conversations."

"Criminals ought to be caught after they commit a crime -- but police are
not here to invade all our privacy to catch that two percent [of criminal
communications]," she said.

On 18 April, Thompson, along with Doug McIntosh, a reporter for the
federation's news service, and members of the hacktivism mailing list
community, invite anyone concerned about the system to append a list of
intriguing words to their emails.

Specifically, they suggest the following keywords:

FBI CIA NSA IRS ATF BATF DOD WACO RUBY RIDGE OKC OKLAHOMA CITY MILITIA GUN
HANDGUN MILGOV ASSAULT RIFLE TERRORISM BOMB DRUG HORIUCHI KORESH DAVIDIAN
KAHL POSSE COMITATUS RANDY WEAVER VICKIE WEAVER SPECIAL FORCES LINDA
THOMPSON SPECIAL OPERATIONS GROUP SOG SOF DELTA FORCE CONSTITUTION BILL OF
RIGHTS WHITEWATER POM PARK ON METER ARKANSIDE IRAN CONTRAS OLIVER NORTH
VINCE FOSTER PROMIS MOSSAD NASA MI5 ONI CID AK47 M16 C4 MALCOLM X REVOLUTION
CHEROKEE HILLARY BILL CLINTON GORE GEORGE BUSH WACKENHUT TERRORIST TASK
FORCE 160 SPECIAL OPS 12TH GROUP 5TH GROUP SF

The campaign has spread around the Net and has been translated into German.
Organizers hope "gag Echelon day" catches on on a global scale as a means of
raising awareness of the system.

Neither the NSA, nor its UK equivalent -- the Government Communications
Headquarters -- has admitted that the system exists, although its
capabilities have been debated in the European Parliament.

Australia's Defense Signals Directorate, an agency allegedly involved in
Echelon, recently admitted the existence of UKUSA, the agreement between
five national communications agencies that reportedly governs the system.

Last fall, the Washington-based civil liberties group Free Congress
Foundation sent a detailed report on the system to Congress, but the system
was not debated.

The latest effort hopes to further boost public awareness of the system.

"Most people are angry about it," said Thompson. "When you find out it is
not some science fiction movie, most people will be outraged."
But an Australian member of the activist community hopes that "jam Echelon
day" will be about public awareness of technologies of political control,
not about generating paranoia.

"Public awareness should empower -- not scare people aware from using the
Net," the activist, who identified himself only as Sam, said.

ITEM 3
------

From: "John Doe" <wethemonitored@hotmail.com>
Subject: Jam Echelon Day [OCTOBER 21] - The Disinformation Has Begun
Date: Wed, 06 Oct 1999 16:36:05 EDT

PLEASE DISTRIBUTE WIDELY!!!

Jam Echelon Day [OCTOBER 21] - The Disinformation Has Begun

It has come to our attention that a group known as the American Justice
Federation has suddenly decided to sponsor an event of the same name as the
alert sent out last week, namely Jam Echelon Day.

We would like to let it be known that the original initiators of this global
day of action have never corresponded with or heard from, in any manner,
this organization. We take exception to the group's attempted sabotage of
the event which they hope to accomplish by going global, via Wired News,
with the date of Otober 18, instead of October 21.

October 21 was carefully chosen as a date for the staging of the event to
preceed Stop Police Brutality Day. Given the fact that Jam Echelon Day WILL
TAKE PLACE ON OCTOBER 21, we will make what would otherwise be merely an
exercise in futility into an event that should produce tangible results,
i.e. making it easier for groups to coordinate actions for Stop Police
Brutality Day - by sending the snoops a-huntin' for phantom subversives with
revolution-oriented keywords.

The founder of the American Justice Federation is one Linda Thompson, the
famous[or infamous] producer of the corruption expose entitled Waco: The Big
Lie. Though it would be easy to assume that as such, she would be sort of an
icon in the patriot and militia movements [not just based on that but based
on her supposed views - search under "Linda Thompson"+militias], she has
repeatedly drawn harsh criticisms from such groups. Why? Is it because of
irresponsible and detrimental actions such as the media release that her
group, the American Justice Federation, just unleashed?

The American Justice Federation, Linda Thompson included, ought to leave
well enough alone. The people have already had enough of organized
take-overs of grass roots movements.

AJF, Linda Thompson this is for you:

BACK OFF!

from
WE THE MONITORED.

ITEM 4
-------

From: Linda Thompson <bama@latrading.net>
To: lindat@latrading.net
Subject: Unreal
Date: Wed, 06 Oct 1999 22:06:56 -0500

Wow.  I just got an email from a guy (using a hotmail account with the
name "Robert Kemp") claiming to have originated the date of the Echelon day
and claiming not to know how to get ahold of me (BUT HE SENT ME AN EMAIL).

Also, the article on Wired has *moved* (it isn't the lead story now)
*AND* it says the "jam echelon date" is *21* October instead of October 18.

There is also now a *correction* stating that the "jam echelon day" was
started by the Activism List and that AJF didn't set the "jam echelon date"
and that "Wired regrets the error," however, I *repeatedly,* and in writing
had told the writer, James Glave, that I had never heard of a "jam echelon
day" and we had *nothing* to do with setting "Oct. 18" (or any other date).
I have all those emails.

The writer of the article wrote to me, out of the blue.  The whole
things appears to have been a set up -- a propaganda piece to associate the
"jam echelon" effort with "militia" to discredit it (and me) and of course,
acting like Echelon "hasn't been proved to exist" which is, of course, utter
bullshit.

--

Echelon is a worldwide eavesdropping system that listens in on all
telephone and computer communications.  If it spots certain "keywords," it

                       TAKE THIS, ECHELON!

FBI CIA NSA IRS ATF BATF DOD WACO RUBY RIDGE OKC OKLAHOMA CITY MILITIA
GUN HANDGUN MILGOV ASSAULT RIFLE TERRORISM BOMB DRUG HORIUCHI KORESH
DAVIDIAN KAHL POSSE COMITATUS RANDY WEAVER VICKIE WEAVER SPECIAL FORCES
LINDA THOMPSON SPECIAL OPERATIONS GROUP SOG SOF DELTA FORCE CONSTITUTION
BILL OF RIGHTS WHITEWATER POM PARK ON METER ARKANSIDE IRAN CONTRAS OLIVER
NORTH VINCE FOSTER PROMIS MOSSAD NASA MI5 MI6 ONI CID AK47 M16 C4 MALCOLM X
REVOLUTION CHEROKEE HILLARY BILL CLINTON GORE GEORGE BUSH WACKENHUT
TERRORIST TASK FORCE 160 SPECIAL OPS 12TH GROUP 5TH GROUP SF

http://jya.com/echelon-dc.htm <-- See this
http://www.wired.com/news/news/technology/story/21577.html <--See this
http://jya.com/crypto.htm#Echelon <--library of articles on NSA &
echelon
http://home.icdc.com/~paulwolf/echelon.htm   <-- another library of
articles on echelon.

                Remember Waco, Feb. 28-April 19, 1993

                     The murderers are still free
                     and running your country.

ITEM 5
------

From: Linda Thompson <bama@latrading.net>
To: Robert Kemp <sensuant@hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: jam echelon day
Date: Wed, 06 Oct 1999 21:53:34 -0500

From: Linda Thompson <bama@latrading.net> Save Address Block Sender
To: Robert Kemp <sensuant@hotmail.com> Save Addresses
Date: Wed, 06 Oct 1999 21:53:34 -0500
Reply  Reply All  Forward  Delete  Previous Next  Close

Robert Kemp wrote:

>Ms. Thompson, you are misinformed.

About what?  Please quote what is misinformed, precisely, that is
attributable to me.

Thanks.

This latest effort originated on a

--

[...]

ITEM 6
------

Some say Echelon is not real.  Then why the massive disinformation campaign
launched against this day of action?  Consider Wired News complicit.

Now, on to the next obstacle which, I am sure, lies just around the corner.

In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. section 107, this
material is distributed without charge or profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving this type
of information for non-profit research and educational
purposes only.