Re: successfully echelonised

From sam =-= <sam@media.com.au>
Date Thu, 30 Sep 1999 09:27:36 +0000
In-reply-to <Pine.LNX.4.10.9909271020310.24305-100000@dojo.tao.ca>
References <37EF79BC.E00D3261@media.com.au>

[: hacktivism :]

hi jesse and others,

>the net is, always has been, and always will be regulated. with that said,
>perhaps we should discuss the notion of democratic governance
>(regulation), or are we all just 'rule-by-force' tyrants, lamenting the
>particular tyrants in control?
>
>to suggest that the net should not be regulated, indicates a desire for an
>environment in which the strong (and smart) rule at the expense of all
>those who may fall victim to their power (rule).

i think i've got the word 'regulation' confused. for me, regulation = a
code of practice, a set of rules on how to behave, or specifically for the
net - what content can be communicated using it.

the isp is the gate way to the internet for most of us who don't have the
priviledge to own our own infrastructure. can't the isp control what gets
accessed and what doesn't? can't the isp control which domains you can send
emails to and which you can't? isn't this regulation (control) ?

maybe we need to get our dictionaries aligned - or maybe its just mine that
is out of alignment. the laws coming in to australia on 1st jan are
described as net regulations' (the full title is Broadcast Services
Amendment (Online Services) Bill 1999).  i don't think its about democratic
governance. but then again, perhaps i am missing something important.

for me, the newspapers and the televsion mediums (in .au) are highly
regulated. that is not everyone can publish content on them - and what
content gets published is filtered throughe editors and proprietors of
those mediums. my posting expressed a concern about this same type of
'regulation' happening to the net.

in terms of echelon - it is concerned now more and more with providing its
partners with an economic advantage. my comments about echelon hating
encrpytion were made because if you want to cause echelon's operators
problems - then use encrpytion. ofcourse it will flag the content - but how
different is this from flagging content using keywords?? wasn't this the
idea with echelon jam day?

leave it at that - sam.