Re: ~e; Fwd: Electrical Wire Safety

From Arthur Elsenaar <arthur@iaaa.nl>
Date Sun, 14 Mar 2004 23:40:55 +0100
In-reply-to <6962D99A-75E4-11D8-AD47-0003936C456C@electronetwork.org>
References <6962D99A-75E4-11D8-AD47-0003936C456C@electronetwork.org>

Hi Brian,

>  * stun-guns and the very high-voltages used to incapacitate
>  people yet they still survive after collapse -- and if this is a
>  totally different direct-current system or may use AC to get
>  the high-voltages which are used, from a small battery pack.
>  and, what would happen if they were 50/60 Hz instead, if it
>  is not what they are now.

I've never really studied stun-guns, but what I remember, it uses a
quite high voltage, maybe 2 or 3kV at a very low current. I don't know
the frequency used, it could be just DC as using AC would enable risk
of getting muscles in a defribulation state. Especially the heart is
very sensitive to this.. people could die easily when their hearts get
into a spasm state..

>  * recently read of a certain specific 'frequency' that if one had
>  a crystal oscillating at that rate would make people nauseous,
>  sick, and vomit. it was wondered what systems these types of
>  connections are effecting. I think the person said it was a brain
>  rhythm or something that was upset by imbalancing frequency.

probably it's the 7 Hz phenomena, the fequency earth resonates at. Can
someone reading this confirm it? I've read this a couple of times, but
don't have a reliable source.

>  I am wondering where 50/60 Hz connects with body rhythms,
>  if it is one of the nervous systems, the brain itself, if it is some
>  automatic response that freezes the human body (to clutch,
>  or contract muscles, if this is what happens, it would seem to
>  be one of the two nervous systems running throughout us).

it's simply how fast the chemicals Na and Ca react with eachother in
producing muscle force/ contraction. Most chemicals in our body have
these reaction times, it's all in the order of 50-200 ms. Is it a
coincidence film has at least 25 frames per second to show a seemingly
continuous motion? Lightbulbs don't noticably flikker? Musical patterns
fall in the same realm? No, it's just our bodies chemical speed. The 50
or 60 Hz of our electrical system was just emperically chosen by
looking at a lightbulb.. (anyone has a good reference on this? It's
almost certainly Tesla or Edison.)

>  In reading about home wiring I was amazed to learn about
>  the consistency in the smaller scale electronics circuits and
>  the larger scale electrical power system. The concepts are
>  quite similar, with some different needs yet if understood in
>  an approximate way- to complete a circuit from the electrical
>  powerplant/generator to the individual house (miles away),
>  the circuit is 'grounded' by putting a spike into the ground,
>  and if not mistaken this sends the return path to the power-
>  plant back through the ground, to complete the circuit, with
>  electrons flowing through the molecules of soil all the way
>  back to wherever the circuit begins. This may be wrong or
>  not directional yet it made me imagine measuring with a
>  volt-meter the soil to see if there is any current moving. I
>  do not know enough to know if this is accurate to 'ground'
>  in electronics, yet using the Earth as part of the circuit is,
>  to me, fascinating in that then 'ground' would be charged.
>  Maybe this is not how it actually works, though, so a guess.

well, in Europe at least (..) the electrical system has wires that
carry current back and forth. So we have a three phase system (3
wires), a null wire (carrying back current) and a ground wire. It's an
electrically closed system, without the ground, you can still turn on
your lights.. right?!
In Georgia I'm not sure...

>  The other thing I have read is that human beings are, on
>  the whole, 'neutral' electrically. That is, there electrons and
>  protons balance out. What may be a change of this is when
>  walking across carpeting and building up an imbalance in
>  charge and then getting or giving an electrical shock, as
>  this neutral state would be out of balance it would seem.
>
>  What is curious is if there is some similar concept of the
>  human as having a natural 'frequency' and, as such is in
>  a balanced state, (or normal) and then to alter that or if
>  these 60 cycles could be creating some 'resonance' or
>  something in the human body as a result of being tuned
>  to a similar frequency. I do not know enough about how
>  'repeaters' work, or if it is applicable here, yet from what
>  has been read is that they can take a weak signal and
>  boost it, to send it off for others to pick up and repeat. If
>  there is something in common between basic systems
>  might it be possible that the human body might be able
>  to feel, perceive, or conceive of these rhythms, if they
>  are balanced or out of balance or over-stimulating (to
>  freeze the ability of the body to function) -- this is well
>  beyond my understanding yet it seems to be where a
>  health-debate over electrical power is stalled between
>  competing views of the influence of power systems.

don't have an answer about this.

>  It would be interesting to know why 50/60 Hz was chosen.

see above

Arthur

  the electromagnetic internetwork-list
  electromagnetism / infrastructure / civilization
  archives.openflows.org/electronetwork-l
  http://www.electronetwork.org/list/