Re: ~e; Fwd: Electrical Wire Safety

From brian carroll <human@electronetwork.org>
Date Sun, 14 Mar 2004 18:06:54 -0600
In-reply-to <A7B826B6-7608-11D8-9F6C-000A95C887F8@iaaa.nl>

  Hi Arthur, thanks for the information:

> probably it's the 7 Hz phenomena, the fequency earth resonates at. Can
> someone reading this confirm it? I've read this a couple of times, but
> don't have a reliable source.

I recently read "close to 7HZ" as 'the resonant frequency of
the body' which then related this nausea to infrared light.

> it's simply how fast the chemicals Na and Ca react with eachother in
> producing muscle force/ contraction. Most chemicals in our body have
> these reaction times, it's all in the order of 50-200 ms. Is it a
> coincidence film has at least 25 frames per second to show a seemingly
> continuous motion? Lightbulbs don't noticably flikker? Musical
> patterns fall in the same realm? No, it's just our bodies chemical
> speed. The 50 or 60 Hz of our electrical system was just emperically
> chosen by looking at a lightbulb.. (anyone has a good reference on
> this? It's almost certainly Tesla or Edison.)

  Thomas P. Hughes wrote of Germany's, England's and
  the United States' reasoning for designing their respective
  national grids the way they did, in "Networks of Power". An
  interesting part of this was the grids reflected social values
  in how houses were wired in relation to one another.

>>  In reading about home wiring I was amazed to learn about
>>  the consistency in the smaller scale electronics circuits and
>>  the larger scale electrical power system.
>
> well, in Europe at least (..) the electrical system has wires that
> carry current back and forth. So we have a three phase system (3
> wires), a null wire (carrying back current) and a ground wire. It's an
> electrically closed system, without the ground, you can still turn on
> your lights.. right?!
> In Georgia I'm not sure...

Whoops. I am still learning, so must have this completely mixed up.
Thought multi-phased power was a result of generators which were
sending multiple waves along (along multiple lines?). I thought that
every wire in an alternating current system has power going both
ways, back and forth, in the wires. The idea of 'ground' I have been
reading is different between a small circuit (negative returning to
positive) versus the larger power grid (where 'ground' is literally,
grounded, from how home wiring is placed onto plumbing and
with stakes in the ground). So, I do not understand what 'ground'
is doing then, unless it is somewhat like lightning strikes which
may hit a building and go through the metalwork into the ground.
Now I am to guess that if an electronic device in a dwelling is
connected to a 'ground' wire, it may have a safety feature in case
something went wrong with the wiring, rather than completing
the circuit. Thanks for letting sharing this, I began to imagine
a bunch of waves traveling through the soil to powerplants!

The part about A.C. and transformers, I thought, was that they
would blow up or explode if the dynamics of the power changed
(the metal-can transformers on electrical poles here I think are
filled with some kind of coolant oil and the transformers on this
larger scale seem to be similar to the smaller scale (electronics)
transformers, dealing with coils and the number of turns of wire
to lower or increase voltage. If the power was too high, as in a
surge, there are circuit breakers along the infrastructure that
are part of the network, and also I believe some fuses on the
poles, too, that can break the circuit. This is how the lightning
protection works on poles too, from what I understand. If a
larger amount of power hits the wires, it trips this system to
shut down the parts most effected. There is also a remote-
switching system. So, I think if there were massive changes
in the power grid that it would trigger some of these systems.
It has been said that a tree branch was related to the power
problems in NE US/Canada last year, changing the dynamics
or this tree branch may have shorted (short circuited) a part
of the grid, setting off subsequent changes (switching, fuses,
transformers?) down the line, not sure if this is the 'cascading'
effect that is referred to as happening-- though in 'circuits' it
appears that the balancing of loads is a primary concern.

In Hughes' book mentioned above, one of the parts of the
current grids involves balancing nighttime and daytime
loads, to try to balance and maintain certain power levels
to lessen the swing in power consumption and to be able
to meet the need with enough power production (power-
plant). In early electrification part of this involved selling
appliances as additional use was part of the economics
which helped stabilized the system. With new electric/
electronic technologies this same drive can be seen in
'smart appliances' that may be able to be locally or even
remotely programmed to, for example, wash the dishes
during the early morning hours to get cheaper rates for
electricity, but also to balance the supply-demand of the
grid. This is also related to the seasonal shifting of large
networks of power to other geographic areas, such as
a surplus of electricity exported to another place that is
in need of imports to meet its needs, thus .CA sends its
electricity to parts of the .US grid when needed, and it
may also be the opposite in the wintertime. What is now
going on interlocking of national grids may also have to
do with the economics of moving excess power. And it
also may be related to making 'the grid' more-efficient,
in the way Enron was trying to move power around and
to have an electricity (stock) market. Question is if any
of this is actually more efficient or just efficient for an AC
(alternating current) system which does long-distance
better than DC.

re: 50/60 Hz, wondered if it has ever been related to
heartbeats. If remembering correctly the 60Hz means
that electrons are moving back and force 60 times/sec.
Brian

  the electromagnetic internetwork-list
  electromagnetism / infrastructure / civilization
  archives.openflows.org/electronetwork-l
  http://www.electronetwork.org/list/