Re: "China and globalization" report

From Brian Turner <myrd62@yahoo.com>
Date Thu, 23 Feb 2006 02:52:37 -0800 (PST)
Domainkey-signature a=rsa-sha1; q=dns; c=nofws; s=s1024; d=yahoo.com; h=Message-ID:Received:Date:From:Subject:To:In-Reply-To:MIME-Version:Content-Type:Content-Transfer-Encoding; b=kv8EfG19BW0XyRaHLIhLVRT40a5GAF8KnLfAjFMmzL4reSPP6q+tnZLhnOT/9/cgfwhF2r3YCEuv0WIIi+wCNOfxvXmH62h1l0aFbbIjhyy9GC0loMpTs8FpeP/uSjTfS5EnrL7+aNzAnjCSI0rhaMB32SlY/mwwtLXvlsMhAfU= ;
In-reply-to <6.2.1.2.2.20060222005838.074d8080@pop.uchicago.edu>

I was able to access the short English version, but
the long English version is blocked by a firewall from
where I am (internet shop in Hanoi).  I wonder if the
Vietnamese government finds critiques of PRC economic
policy threatening or this could be some other
computer related cause.

I notice in the piece that the UN estimates the
current Gini coefficient at 0.45.  A few years ago I
read an article where someone speculated it could be
in the mid 0.50s or higher due to hidden offshore
capital flight and other undeclared assets.  Does
anyone know, does the UN figure take into account this
possibility?

In general, how do economists go about measuring
inequality in countries where there is a large
informal economy?

Here in Vietnam, the informal economy is huge, though
I don't know whether it's atypically large for a
developing country or not.  Also, the VNese economy is
nearly all cash, and people still are skeptical of
commercial banks (changing slowly though).  That seems
to add to the measurement difficulty.

If official and World Bank, etc. figures are right,
Vietnamese inequality has risen modestly since the
reforms, from the low 0.30s to the high 0.30s.  I have
no idea how reliable that is.