Re: rural reconstruction

From "Sunzi Hu" <husunzi@hotmail.com>
Date Mon, 09 Jan 2006 22:25:37 +0000
Cc zhongguo@openflows.org
In-reply-to <007e01c61527$a53bb7e0$6401a8c0@DB134221>

>Whether the purpose is to build economic coops and rural social and
>political institutions, or provide health care and education, and
>provisions for the elderly and disabled, how can one avoid looking at the
>lessons of the commune system?

Oh, yes, this is another important question that I forgot to mention. My
impression is that intellectuals and activists of various stripes (liberal,
Maoist, Christian, Gandhian...) have embraced and elaborated these
discourses of "xiangjian" and "sannong" (the three agrarian questions of
rural people, economy and village), and to some extent "alternative
development", because this is what's "hot", and that's what people are
allowed to talk about and actively pursue. I met one volunteer at the Hebei
school, for instance, who criticized both Wen and the early 20th century
models of rural reform, and who advocated some variant of the commune
system, but he said that he took part in xiangjian work because he felt that
was all he could do at this point, and that it was a step in the right
direction. I wonder how common this sort of attitude is in the "movement",
and how often it gets voiced in xiangjian forums such as China Reform or
Sannong Zhongguo (as opposed to, say, Maoist forums such as Zhuren Gong). On
the other hand, another volunteer was quite frank - when I asked him - about
his rejection of the Maoist commune model, and saw the early 20th century as
well as Kerala, etc. models as preferable in various ways (more democratic,
etc.; it seems like he said that Wen had explicitly criticized the Maoist
commune model somewhere - unfortunately I didn't write this down in my notes
- has anyone seen anything like this?)

My general sense is that many xiangjian advocates have more or less coherent
ideas about the Mao-era communes, but that for political reasons they are
hesitant to discuss them online or in print, particularly in forums
affiliated with xiangjian institutions, or at formal lectures at places like
the Hebei school. This is unfortunate because, as Joel points out, the
commune system means a lot more (whatever it means) to China's rural masses
than what is happening in Kerala, or what happened in a few scattered
villages during the 1920s. And besides, it is clear that some reformers see
their work as promoting an alternative model to both today's system and the
Mao-era commune system, so it needs to be open for study and discussion
exactly what that system was and how this model is supposed to supersede it,
rather than working with unexamined assumptions.

Matt