Re: Mardi Gras: Made in China

From Jonathan Lassen <jjlassen@chinastudygroup.org>
Date Thu, 06 May 2004 13:23:12 -0500
Cc zhongguo@openflows.org
In-reply-to <9000.207.10.54.33.1083697066.squirrel@www.calleymedia.org>
References <56338.207.10.54.33.1083696685.squirrel@www.calleymedia.org> <9000.207.10.54.33.1083697066.squirrel@www.calleymedia.org>
User-agent Mozilla Thunderbird 0.6 (Windows/20040502)

David,

Hi, I mentioned to you in a previous email that you might want to
contact Peter Kwang in NYC. I second Yan Hairong as a great person to
talk to.

For more stuff on the WB, I would suggest contacting Joshua Muldavin,
who is I think writing a book on the history of the WB in China (I think
that's right). He teaches in NYC at Sarah Lawrence college, but I'm not
sure if he's there or not right now. The people in the NY-based NGO
Zigen also have lots of experience in rural areas, and might be able to
provide some insight. Email me if you need the contact info for any of
these people.

It will be a bit difficult to draw a close connection between the IMF/WB
and China's turn to the 'market' I think (not to say you shouldn't do
it!). I would argue it would involve looking at what happened in the
aftermath of the Cultural Revolution and the struggles within the party
in the 80s. The first chapter in Wang Hui's China's New Order might be
of interest here.

Just some quick ideas, hopefully we can continue to discuss this here.
Very much looking forward to the film,

Jonathan