Re: The Beijing hack attack

From Bronc Buster <bronc@2600.com>
Date Mon, 27 Dec 1999 11:25:12 -0500 (EST)
Cc maggie knowles <maggie@vgn.com>

[: hacktivism :]

I think I must of missed some postings or something regarding this start
of this thread. Oh well, I'll just jump into the frey!

The attacks against China that are being talked about happened last year
at about this time. It all started out after our hits on
humanrights-china.org and china-tibet.org, and the disableing or several
firewalls which allowed free net access in and out of the country. The
dawn of hacktivism, as it has been called.

In any event, after these events unfolded, several groups of kiddies
wanted to get their names in lights and get their 15 minutes, so several
groups (inculding FORMER LoU members) went to "war" against China and
Iraq. They held a fake press confrence where Dan Atkin from the Tronto
Star was present. After these people said they were going after China and
Iraq, rather then ask people he knew were LoU members to conferm the
story, he ran with it, quoting people that were not only not members of
LoU, but people we had never even heard of. We informed Mr.Atkin and his
editors about these facts and that his story was false and asked for a
correction. He said no, and then helped several other online news sites do
stories about it as well.

The statement below was a knee jerk reaction to these stories, and like
Mr.Atkins article, was written before anyone had talked to anyone in LoU.
Once it was released, the then members of LoU, released a statement
condeming the people who did call for these attacks, and condeming anyone
who would take such destructive actions. Once we had talked to the CCC
(who started movement and wrote the letter condeming the cyber war), and
the other groups who had signed that statement, we were given an appology
and the statement was instantly retracted.

Well enough with history, on to some facts.

In reality, at the time several hacker groups were supporting actions in
China. The cDc was helping a group called the Hong Kong Blondes, and they
were supporting other groups in and around China. Several kiddie groups
(who are now infamous for their FBI raids a few months ago) were also
involved in actions in Aisa. As you already know, LoU was also involved
as well. For a few months a large part of the hacker worlds attention was
focused on China and the issues surrounding it. It was a good learning
experience for the community at large, a good test of how well we can
police ourselves, and a testing of how far is too far.

A lot of things came about thanks to the events in China, and for anyone
not familer with the fiasco last year, take some time to read up on it.

Sorry for blabbering on.

regards,
   Bronc Buster
  bronc@2600.com