Re: Help destroy eToys.com!

From "Morrison, Catherine E" <morrisce@jmu.edu>
Date Mon, 13 Dec 1999 14:59:05 -0500
Cc etoyfund@rtmark.com, spacerog@l0pht.com

[: hacktivism :]

I have to agree, although perhaps less emphatically...I became
interested in this movement because I saw in it a chance to
mobilize large amounts of people and educate them about social
issues they would otherwise be blissfully unaware of. But, to the
extent of essentially attacking kids for something they are not
responsible for? That's not cool.

I realize that intellectual property rights are going to become a
powder-keg issue, but now is the time for widespread EDUCATION.
Currently the american public is simply not primed to respond
correctly to this issue. The hacktivism community would come out
looking like the grinch who stole Christmas while etoys, with
their giant innocent blue eyes filling with the tears of children
everywhere, would merely be another Who....left out in the cold
and stripped of their gifts.

Is that a real protrayal? Of COURSE not. But the public is not
going to understand what an abusive corporate giant etoys is yet
because they are unfamiliar with the issue of intellectual
property rights. I mean, hell...Monsanto and others are poised to
create starvation and poverty all over the world with the
Terminator seed, which owes it's very existence to property
rights, and NO ONE knows about that...

So if you want to protest I suggest that want take the forms of
letter-writing to newspapers, web sites, notes on mailing lists...
Suggest a BOYCOTT--that's noble and newsworthy while a floodnet
looks too much like a prank. Cry havoc, don't cause it just yet.

cate
http://npthing-to-fear.org