Re: THE WTO SIT-IN: PHASE 2 STARTS NOW! - the electrohippies collective

From rhiann3n wyrcat <rhiannen@gw.total-web.net>
Date Fri, 03 Dec 1999 22:12:18 -0500

[: hacktivism :]

rdom@thing.net wrote:

> [: hacktivism :]
>
> the electrohippies collective
> <major snippage>
> During Wednesday we also had what could have been an
> attempted hack of the site. What was most interesting
> was that the IP address (143.233.73.50 in case
> anyone's seen it before) does not exist! (a case for
> the X Files we think).

they exist, just possibly behind a firewall, & certainly not a .net,
.com. or .org -  the immediate upstream hop from them is
rb3.ariadne-t.gr  ( 143.233.28.3 )

now whether it was really them or not, whether it was really a hack
attempt, or whether it was someone just curious as to how hard the
servers were actually getting hit... ~shrug~

rhia

"... God forbid that we should ever be twenty years without such a
rebellion. The people cannot be all, and always, well informed. The part
which is wrong will be discontented, in proportion to the importance of
the facts they misconceive. If they remain quiet under such
misconceptions, it is lethargy, the forerunner of death to the public
liberty. ...And what country can preserve its liberties, if its rulers
are not warned from time to time that this people preserve the spirit of
resistance? Let them take arms. The remedy is to set them right as to
the facts, pardon and pacify them. What signify a few lives lost in a
century or two? The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time,
with the blood of patriots and tyrants. It is its natural manure."
-- Thomas Jefferson in a letter to William S. Smith in 1787.