Re: Hacktivism List Proposal 2.0

From Aimee <vanwagea@bc.edu>
Date Sun, 31 Oct 1999 17:41:32 -0800 (PST)
Cc hacktivism@tao.ca
In-reply-to <3819D6C6.CA020080@tao.ca>

[: hacktivism :]

hello all,

I am hoping that the "radical filter" idea might be
brought up again in addition to the proposed changes in
the form and function of the list (the current ones i
like, including the trash site...)  Perhaps this is a
losing battle...

Both difficult and full of possibility is that hacktivism
isn't a defined, clearly circumscribed thing.  My
feelings about hacktivism is that it is computer
technology action directed at social change/justice
goals.

My feelings are also that a hacktivist ethic is more
directed than the broad hacker (libertarian) ethic that
censorship is bad, free flow of information is good, and
there should be no/very little regulation on networked
communication.

Questions about in what directions this differentiated
hacktivist ethic will take are questions I am interested
in exploring with the participants of the list.

I don't know if these questions will be explored without
a radical filter or something that takes hacktivism in a
more specialized and radically politically oriented
direction than hacking.

am i off base?  am i on the wrong list?

aimee

p.s. big up to those on the committee or whatever it's
called for taking up the not-so-fun and also rather time
consuming task of drawing up proposals and trying to
integrate feedback.  you folks rock.