Re: unhappy jam tao day!

From Chuck0 <chuck@tao.ca>
Date Thu, 21 Oct 1999 14:54:20 -0400
References <Pine.LNX.4.10.9910211546260.12187-100000@dojo.tao.ca>

[: hacktivism :]

pj lilley wrote:

> [: hacktivism :]
>
> oh, for crying out loud!  is everyone going to post your stupid word list
> to TAO lists all day????   fuck off, you're wasting system resources.
> at LEAST send yer shit around to *government* servers if you're going to
> insist on the vanity of it!  i'm with ted -- this is a most arrogant
> american-centric exercise in disinformation.    Chuck -- if you'd really
> like to support Anti-Police Brutality day, why not write a paragraph or
> two about it for the upcoming tao newsletter?

Agreed. If people were really serious about this, they would send the
list to friends who aren't the usual suspects. Circulate the keywords
attached to something newbies like to circulate to everybody they know,
like the petition to save Afghani women, or that cute cat screensaver
making the rounds of offices this week.

What do you mean about supporting "anti-Police Brutality" day? I don't
get it. This Project Echelon thing is not something that interests me
very much.

> ps. stefan, i'm not trying to "narrow the scope" so much as actually do
> something effective.  you seem intent on organizing a spam of tao.  kinda
> like the time you jammed the hack-the-planet lan with your silly java
> action.  you're only inconveniencing those you claim to be helping.  i
> remember your "defense" of mumia, as well.  spittle? me being restrained?
> why don't you just chalk it up to PMS?  ugh.  don't you read the critiques
> people send you?  you seem to studiously ignore reason.

Harsh, but hit close to target.

It would be a more effective attack on the system if some of you left
your university classrooms and helped some of us set up TAO-like
services in our communities. I'm in the DC-area, if anybody wants to
help set up mutualaid.org with us, give me a buzz.

I'm getting really tired of these tired leftist reactionary attacks on
the system. Who really gives a fuck about Echelon anyway? If the
governments want to spy on us, they can. Most activists I know don't do
anything effective enough to warrant any surveillance. Just look at who
the cops are paying attention to: animal rights direct actionists, Earth
First! types, Reclaim the Streets and J18/N30 activists, and so on. That
should provide a clue as to what effectively scares those who control
our lives.

If you want to help the Zapatistas, examine what scared the ruling
class, when it came to the Internet. They had a cow that information was
disseminated quickly and websites were set up around the world. Those
methods, although very unglamorous, were more effective than pinging the
Pentagon, Chase Manhattan Bank, and the Mexican stock exchange.

This is typical on the left. The people who want to make names for
themselves get the press and the shitworkers who keep the bosses up at
night work without recognition. I'm sick of it.

--
Chuck0

Alternative Press Review
http://flag.blackened.net/apr/

Free Leonard Peltier!

"A society is a healthy society only to the degree
that it exhibits anarchistic traits."
        - Jens Bjørneboe