Hactivism comments by EFF (fwd)

From Bronc Buster <bronc@2600.com>
Date Tue, 12 Oct 1999 11:27:53 -0400 (EDT)

[: hacktivism :]

I got this today from the l0pht and HackerNews.Com. They are interested in
what people think about the EFF looking as if they are turning on
Hacktivism.

regards,
   Bronc Buster
  bronc@2600.com

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Tue, 12 Oct 1999 02:10:49 -0400
From: Space Rogue <spacerog@XXXXX>
To: Bronc Buster <bronc@2600.com>
Subject: Hactivism comments by EFF

http://www.cnn.com/TECH/computing/9910/08/pakistani.hack/index.html

"However, the marriage activism and computer hacking has a fundamental
flaw, according to Alex Fowler, Strategic Initiatives Director for the
Electronic Frontier Foundation.

"A lot of groups are claiming that they're hacking into sites for a
higher moral purpose, but they're hiding beyond anonymity or
pseudonymity. Taking responsibility is not something we see happening.
One of the critical things in environmental causes and the civil rights
movement was that groups who used strong tactics and intentionally broke
the law eventually came forward and took responsibility for their
actions. It was owning up that really helped these movements forward.

"Tweety Fish, a member of the Canadian hacker group Cult of the Dead Cow,
defends hacktivists as merely being purveyors of information."