Re: Hactivism comments by EFF (fwd)

From rdom@thing.net
Date Tue, 12 Oct 1999 12:31:42 -0400
References <Pine.NEB.4.05.9910121125560.27218-100000@phalse.2600.com>

[: hacktivism :]

"A lot of groups are claiming that they're hacking into sites for a
higher moral purpose, but they're hiding beyond anonymity or
pseudonymity."

The element of anonymity has always been a part of hacking as far
as I know--the problem with EFF seems to be that if the hack is
political-- it should work in a different manner.

This is perhaps where the (tivism) in hack_tivism can help
push towards a different type of hacking_that_takes_responsibility.

EDT has always been as transparent about our actions.

We feel that we then fall more on the (_tivism) end of hack_tivism.

That of taking responsibility for our actions.

This has been the ethical core of Digital Zapatismo has created
both off_line and on_line for EDT.

But--The EZLN themselves have chosen to remain behind the
small black masks of *anonymity or pseudonymity* in order to
survive and move beyond social invisibility--as a type of social
hacking.

Which to me means that to attempt to define and push hacktivism
towards an exact mirrorring of previous forms of  transparent
*civil rights movements* is wrong.

Hacktivism will work best as a strange attractor that shifts
and changes with each cell and the specific political issue
they have chosen to deal with.

transparancy and anonymity, or any simulations inbetween,
must always remain on the list of choices for any hacktivist actions.

ciao,