Re: MASSIVE DISINFO CAMPAIGN UNDERWAY RE: JAM ECHELON DAY

From "Robert Kemp" <sensuant@hotmail.com>
Date Fri, 08 Oct 1999 13:16:11 EDT

[: hacktivism :]

----- Message d'origine -----
De : Stefan Wray <sjw210@is8.nyu.edu>

 > We, on this list anyway, shouldn't be so hung up on ownership,
 > but more so on enactment.
 >
 > Aren't we copyleft anyway?

I was afraid that this misperception might take place.  The reaction to the
Wired story has nothing to do with ownership and everything to do with
representation vs. misrepresentation.  The association made between Jam
Echelon Day and the American Justice Foundation is capable of

A) damaging the movement by giving it the appearance that it is a by-product
of right wing paranoia

B) tarnishing the image of hacktivists in general [especially given the
reality of just how global this has become]

C) shooting down the paradigm that the "little guy" is capable of setting in
motion anything that is a really good idea - at least as far as media
activism is concerned - by giving it the appearance that it was created by
an established organization

Incidentally, I saw the blurb at the bottom of the Wired News article with
the appropriate corrections and I think I can speak for all those who have
decided to work with me on this effort that it is entirely satisfactory.

I hope everyone will forgive me for the fact that I did not know Wired News
any better than Linda Thompson [and for the fact that I have a hard-earned
distrust of large media in general].  At least I can now say that I know
Wired a LITTLE better than Linda Thompson and the AJF.

LET THE GAMES BEGIN!

Justice Federation had organized the event. Wired News regrets the error.

In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. section 107, this
material is distributed without charge or profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving this type
of information for non-profit research and educational
purposes only.

http://www.angelfire.com/mi/smilinks/thirdeye.html

"To be truly radical, one must make hope
possible, rather than despair convincing."
- Raymond Williams