Re: spitting, hissing, desperate disagreement

From Mark Jeftovic <markjr@privateworld.com>
Date Mon, 06 Sep 1999 14:19:45 -0700
In-reply-to <199909061734.NAA12417@tao.ca>

[: hacktivism :]

At 10:31 AM 9/6/99 -0700, Mike wrote:
>[: hacktivism :]
>I believe direct action has its place when fighting Nazis. Parsifal believes
>it doesn't. That's fine. It doesn't mean Parsifal doesn't believe in
>fighting Nazis, it means Parsifal believes in using different tactics, i.e.
>promoting tolerant viewpoints in media. I can see his point, but that
>doesn't mean I am of the same opinion.

It's really pretty simple, everyone is entitled to their own opinion, and
as long as everyone is also aware that they have to face the consequences
of their actions, everything will be fine.

Putting up a KKK site is anyone's perogative, but don't go crying to
mommy if you get hacked to shreds. Anyone who is doing so is setting
themselves up to be a target so they may as well get used to it. If
they don't like it: Don't Do That, Then!

Quite frankly, the people I see holding up the "free speech" argument
most often (outside of the participants in actual "free speech
arguments" :) are spammers, bigots, liars, slanderers and other
assorted net.kooks. They seem to have to fall back on their so-called
rights when it becomes apparent that nobody agrees with them nor welcomes
their intrusions (anybody get spammed by those newamerica.org nuts about a
month ago?)

In my early days of computing from another free speech argument thread
in some forum on Fidonet somebody said:

"Free speech means the right to speak the truth, not to spew filth"

and that to me captures the essence of what the intent  of "free speech"
really means, the ability to say the Emperor has no clothes. (Not the
ability to say "click here to see the Emporer naked" over and over)

-mark

----
Mark Jeftovic, <markjr@easydns.com>
easyDNS Technologies Inc. http://www.easyDNS.com/