Freedom of Speech (was Re: HateWatch Press Release)

From "schizoid" <schizoid@pacific.net.sg>
Date Mon, 6 Sep 1999 07:43:36 +0800
References <199909051751.NAA01869@tao.ca>

[: hacktivism :]

I'll just response to Parsifal's notion of hacking a site as a limit on the
freedom of speech, which in his view could then led to other ominous
scenarios.  The way that I see it is that a hack on a site can be compared
to talking/shouting directly at another person - you get your say in for a
while, but you are not stopping the other person from speaking (unlike when
law enforcement officers coming in and taking you away and locking you up).
However, Parsifal (and Stuart, in another post) would advocate just standing
in a separate corner and shouting on top of your voice just how you
disagree - that would be a manifestation of freedom of speech, but not the
first instance.  How so?  Don't we all have different ways of speaking?
Surely, "freedom of speech" refers not only to the contents of that speech,
but the means of saying it as well.
If a hack is as devious as, say the (misused) arm of law - in the sense of
police actions or cyber-filters - then, I'll say let's be weary.  But is
that so?  Is this emphasis on "freedom of speech" purely an academic
exercise?  Are there degrees of freedom of speech?  Or is it an absolute
(hence stifling and possibly censorious) measure?

Lawrence