Re: Timorese 'hacktivists' warn of revenge

From "Robert Kemp" <sensuant@hotmail.com>
Date Tue, 31 Aug 1999 11:52:15 EDT

[: hacktivism :]

From: xdaydreamx@gmx.net
To: hacktivism@tao.ca
Subject: Re: Re: Timorese 'hacktivists' warn of revenge
Date: Tue, 31 Aug 1999 01:53:10 +0200 (MEST)

[: hacktivism :]

The problem seems to be whether or not one can call such
actions "hacktivism" or not. On the one hand BroncBuster
says that groups such as those threatening to attack
the Indonesian government and economy should not be grouped
under the term "hacktivists". Others uphold that what
they are doing is necessary and just and that this
corresponds to their understanding of what "hacktivism"
means

seems to me that hacking is a specialized strategy, comparable in
conventional warfare to, say, saturation bombing.  activism is simply
involvement in the power process, the process of representing those that are
deliberately excluded.  given this: ANYONE representing a group that has
been shoved out of the power process and using hacking techniques to do it,
is a hactivist.

makes perfect sense to me.  whether or not you agree with that group's
agenda is impertinent to whether or not they are hacktivists.