the function of art

From Aimee <vanwagea@bc.edu>
Date Sat, 28 Aug 1999 14:56:23 -0900 (PDT)
Cc hacktivism@tao.ca
In-reply-to <37C810C0.87348A3B@pixelyze.com>

[: hacktivism :]

hello all,

i am wondering if talking about the function of art might
be of interest to some on the list and if it might be a
productive discussion.

in talking about the purpose or the function of floodnet
actions, one answer has been that, for example, the
artful creation of error messages, makes the action public
art.  this makes a lot of intuitive sense to me, as
others have commented this.  the notion of error logs
full of the names of those usually unnamed--the massacred
indigenous at Acteal--is really powerful, touching
especially aesthetic senses.

but i also wonder if this is really an answer to the
question 'what is the function of floodnet actions.'  can
the answer be that art is an end itself?  it is obviously more
complicated than that, as this floodnet art is always
tangled with activism.

perhaps this question is a little too philosophical and
utterly unanswerable.  it is one i think about a lot as a
graduate student.  i wonder what the function of (my)
writing is.  is it for me (writing to save lives, even if it is
only the writer's life who is saved)?  is it for the
benefit of others (educating the masses or some shit
like that)?  is it an end it itself (writing for
writing's sake)?  these same questions seem to apply to this
art.

aimee