Re: filling its 404 error logs with the names of the men, women and

From Stefan Wray <sjw210@is8.nyu.edu>
Date Fri, 27 Aug 1999 00:38:41 -0500
In-reply-to <Pine.NEB.4.05.9908270047530.3275-100000@phalse.2600.com>
References <37C59AA5.74E179A5@thing.net>

[: hacktivism :]

Well my friend Bronc, setting "Subject 7" aside for the moment, I'm curious
about your definition of "hacktivism." It seems clear to me that the
etymology of hacktivism includes the words "hacker" and "activism." More
broadly, hacktivism sits at the intersection of social activism (art
notwithstanding) and computer use.

Now, given that some uses of computers have been deemed "illegal" by the
state(s), then logically some forms of hacktivism will be "illegal." But
surely, if this list is about hacktivism it will need to deal with both
sides of the law. Given that the subject is relatively new - at least the
nomenclature is new - it's too early to segregate the topic into worthy and
non-worthy components. Isn't it?

By the way, as I just subscribed to this list as well, your message is the
first post I received. ;-)

- Stefan Wray
>From the Hills of Central Texas

PS. The message below follows a trail that began with a call by the
Electronic Disturbance Theater to once again focus digital attention on the
Mexican government as it moves ever closer to armed conflict with the
Zapatistas in Chiapas.

PPS. Where did you find information about "Subject 7"?

PPPS. "Subject 7" sounds like a good title for a short film or novella.