Re: Jam Echelon Day II (JEDII) - The Day of Cryptography.

From "Big (Bug Brother) Band" <bigband@bugbrother.com>
Date Wed, 12 Jul 2000 23:41:29 +0200

[: hacktivism :]

b!
--

  dunno  what's the situation for the spanish, german, dutch, italian,
  etc.,  but JEDII would be better if the links provided were not only

  Another  point  would  be  to  include  just a small presentation of
  what's going on here and there, to let people know what's the future
  of  the  internet  eavesdropping.  For instance, UK has to deal with
  both  RIP and anti-terrorism Bills, the US have their Carnivore, the
  french  must  identify  themselves, and we don't know what's exactly
  the  *Frenchelon*,  Swiss and Dutch want to create their own network
  surveillance  capabilities,  the Russians have their SORM, etc. Most
  of  all,  41 europeans nations, + the USA, Canada, Japan are working
  on  a treaty to counteract cybercriminality that will be launched at
  the            beginning            of           2001           (see
  http://conventions.coe.int/treaty/fr/projets/cybercrime.htm).   This
  treaty  will  concern  every  nations, who will have to change their
  national  laws to give law enforcements news special powers. Like in
  the  UK,  hacktivists  will  perhaps  be  presumed  guilty. The GILC
  (http://www.gilc.org) is quite relevant on this matter, but it would
  be  interesting  to  collect all those informations, put them on the
  website(s), and a small presentation on the mail4buzz.

  seems  like, if we want to reach the audience, we've got to focus on
  the learning part of JED, which can also be performative, of course,
  for the buzz... but as most people found difficult to implement PGP,
  for  instance,  we've  got to give them simple How To for them to be
  aware  of  what's  next.  I'd  like  to  point  on  another website,
  http://security.tao.ca,   'cause  it  provides  accessible  How  To.
  BugBrother  crew  translated  it  into  french  (see  also the rough
  collection of links that BugBrother.com gathered, FYI), but it would
  be  most  accurate  to  provide  infos  &  links  in  many different
  languages if we don't want to see JEDII focus on english & US people
  only.

  Last  but  not  least,  we've just discovered that JEDII was already
  reported  in  the  NETRADAREWS of SecurityPortal, which focus on the
  potential  threats  of the "underground world". FYI, this program is
  sponsored  &  publicized  by http://www.atomictangerine.com, who has
  recently  revealed  its  intention  to  create a cooperation program
  between  Interpol  and  major high tech firms : they'll gather their
  security  informations...

> http://www.securityportal.com/topnews/netradarews/echelon20000710.html
> Target:  Echelon
> July 7, 2000
> Target: Echelon - The Echelon system has angered a lot of people  and
> countries as well. So it is not surprising that there are movements afoot to
> disrupt or cause problems for them.  The following e-mail is circulating
> about the Internet and seems to be the early stages of planning attacks.
>
> The following is a message that is being distributed:

etc.

bb! U, G° brother !)
  http://www.bugbrother.com
  info & links (en) : http://www.bugbrother.com/bbe/index.html