Re: Defacing as a tool

From Michael Clark <mclark@cdt.org>
Date Wed, 19 Jan 2000 11:09:49 -0500

[: hacktivism :]

I disagree with ZoeScanner's points #3 and #8,  the use of defacing as a tool.

Defacing is not appropriate on- or off-line. Does that mean "they"
(whoever "they" are) have the right to deface a church or synagogue's
web site or physical meeting place?  I don't see any difference
between on-line and off-line. Can you make a case for it? Thanks,
Michael

ZoeScanner <zoescanner@yahoo.com> wrote:
>I agree with this...and I disagree.....
>1. they have a right to be here as much as we
>do...no matter how distasteful that may be...
>2.censorship is NOT the answer....However...
>3. tearing down their pages and/or replacing them
>with "messages" is one way of showing our
>opinions of their opinions....and a fun way to
>get a point accross as well as work off some
>steam at their proclaimed "New Order Religion".
>4.Defacing: it spills no one's blood.
>5. I defend their right to be here as much as I
>protest what they stand for.
>6. If you take away their right to be here,it
>will only be a matter of time before we are not
>here either....
>7. their pages are a good safe way to keep an eye
>on their activities....and act accordingly about
>them.
>8. Defacing; they also have the same right to
>deface any/all pages we have....
>9.If you find a site you cannot tolerate,simply
>put up your own in protest!
>10. The Net MUST remain FREE at any cost!!!!!
>Peace
>ZoeScanner

- --
Michael Clark, Assistant Webmaster
Center for Democracy and Technology
1634 Eye Street NW, Suite 1100    Washington, DC 20006
voice: 202-637-9800    fax: 202-637-0968
mclark@cdt.org         http://www.cdt.org/
PGP Key available on keyservers

Join our Activist Network! Your participation can make a difference!
http://www.cdt.org/join/