International Appeal--Solidarity support for Chinese GP Workers now!

From Saul Thomas <stthomas@nerdshack.com>
Date Mon, 11 Sep 2006 00:25:51 +0800
User-agent Thunderbird 1.5.0.5 (Windows/20060719)

International Appeal--Solidarity support for Chinese GP Workers now!

GP workers need your support before/on Sept 13!

Dear friends of the international civil society:

We would like you to join our action against the injustice of a HK Company
called GP Battery Ltd. We will have action against GP

1. September 13

24 hour Action  :  Sept 13-14

3pm at the entrance of the venue of the GP Shareholder Meeting¡XProtest
against GP not to pay fair and decent compensation to workers.

Major demands:

1) Gold Peak should immediately provide the affected workers fair and decent compensation;

2) Gold Peak should stop the humiliating body-checks and provide recognized and professional medical checkups to its workers;

3) Gold Peak should stop threatening its workers and apologise for any harassment, injustice and discrimination directed at them. It should undertake to effect genuine negotiations with the workers involved.

4) Gold Peak should withdraw its legal action against the three Hong Kong groups.

2. September 14th

For security reason, the actual action will be announced later.

What you can do to support the GP workers?

We are calling for a Global Solidarity Action Day for GP workers on
September 13 (GP AGM). If you can do some action on that day, the GP
workers will thank very much for your support.

1.    You can send email or fax a protest letter (sample attached) to GP
or to GP member companies (attached).

2.    Visit a store which sell GP Batteries and tell the consumers how GP
treats their workers in China.

Note: The three organization : Hong Kong Confederation of Trade Unions
(HKCTU), Globalisation Monitor (GM) and Neighbourhood and Worker¡¦s
Service Centre  are sued by the GP at the moment. The lawyers who defend
for the three groups suggest them not to be directly involved in the
current solidarity campaign. We are sending the international appeal and
ask your support for them.

Contact person: May Wong, Asia Monitor Resource Centre

on behalf of the Hong Kong Coalition on GP Cadmium Incident

Email: maywong@amrc.org.hk

Tel: 2332 1346

Fax: 2385 5319

More English materials on GP Cadmium Incident
http://globalmonitor.blogspot.com/
http://www.csr-asia.com/index.php?p=5006

Useful links about GP:
GP Board of Directors and Senior management
http://www.goldpeak.com/Frame/profile/management.htm