Re: chinese anarchism after 1949

From "Matt Hale" <husunzi@hotmail.com>
Date Sun, 20 Nov 2005 07:07:58 +0000
Cc zhongguo@openflows.org, c@wellslake.org
In-reply-to <AAEC9A81-94C3-4D53-84C9-34C00721A7ED@columbia.edu>

Yvonne,

Thanks for the link to Gaizao.

I'm also curious about political tendencies within mainland punk rock
culture. I've chatted with a few punks in Nanjing and they seemed pretty cut
off from the masses, so to speak, and more concerned about the usual
"lifestyle" freedoms, as you put it (drugs, sex, etc.) than social justice;
but they did talk about "wuzhengfuzhuyi" in their song lyrics in ways that
seemed to hint at some sort of social-political consciousness. Unfortunately
I lost the CD and their contact info, but, if you're curious, you might try
searching "xici.net" for key words like "bengke" - I sort of doubt they
would have political discussions on the net, but this is one way to get in
touch with these groups, in case you're not already. In Nanjing the only way
to find out about their shows and parties was on this sort of BBS or by word
of mouth. And by the way, does anyone have any contacts with punks and or
anarchists (or Maoists, for that matter) in Chengdu? (not that we should be
talking about these things online - I'm sort of pushing the envelope
here...)

As for Reclus, I don’t know of a better English source than the one you
mention (Scalapino and Yu 1961), which is what Arif Dirlik refers to in ACR,
along with Peter Zarrow’s dissertation (I haven’t read his book yet, but I’m
sure he mentions Reclus there) and a 1976 dissertation by someone named
Richard Wang. He also gives some Chinese sources, including a piece by
Reclus himself, translated into Chinese (his Chinese name is Shao Kelu), on
Li Shizeng, who was his main Chinese disciple (“Wo suo renshi de Li Yuying
[Shizeng] Xiansheng”, _zhuanji wenxue_ 45:3, 1983), and a collection called
_Li Shizeng zhuanji ziliao_ (Zhu Chuanyu, ed., Taibei 1979).

The main Chinese names Dirlik mentions in conjunction w/ Reclus are Li
Shizeng, who founded the New World Society (xin shijie she) in Paris in
1906, Wu Zhihui, who edited the Society’s journal, New Era (xin shiji), and
Zhang Jingjiang, who funded the Society with the proceeds from his bean curd
factory. Unfortunately, all three ended up joining the Guomindang and
helping to suppress the Shanghai and Guangzhou workers uprisings in the
1920s. As Dirlik puts it, “The importance of their ideological contribution…
lies in the consistency of the ideology they propagated, not in the
consistency with which they lived up to their own ideals” (81). They were
also important for translating Reclus’ work, along with texts by Kropotkin,
Bakunin and Malatesta.

Hope this helps!

Matt

*****
Matthew Allen Hale
Anthropology Department
University of Washington
Seattle, WA 98195
*****
"I have never let my schooling stand in the way of my education"
(Mark Twain)