China Shark Attack!!!

From Stephen Philion <philion@hawaii.edu>
Date Thu, 14 Jul 2005 08:13:08 -0500
Cc zhongguo@openflows.org
In-reply-to <E1DrZW4-0007oC-Aa@titan.lunarpages.com>
References <E1DrZW4-0007oC-Aa@titan.lunarpages.com>
User-agent Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.7.3)Gecko/20040910

This article can be found on the web at
*http://www.thenation.com/doc.mhtml?i=20050718&s=henwood*

    Chinese Shark Attack!

by DOUG HENWOOD

[posted online on July 12, 2005]

Turn on the TV, and there's always something new to fear. Not the really
scary stuff, necessarily, like bombs in the subway (though the talking
heads do their best to maximize those fears) but the daily sensations
that are the lifeblood of cable TV: disappearing in Aruba, getting
attacked by sharks--or being taken over by the Chinese.

The China National Offshore Oil Company (CNOOC), 70 percent owned by the
Chinese government, is putting in a bid for Unocal. Unocal had already
agreed to being taken over by Chevron. But, as often happens when
corporations start dating seriously, another suitor butted in. In this
case, because China's involved, the usual forces of nationalist fervor
are up in arms.

On June 30 the House passed a resolution stating that allowing CNOOC to
buy Unocal would threaten national security--by a 398-to-15 vote.
Congress was prodded into action by a bevy of agitated pundits and
interest groups. Leading the baying mob is Lou Dobbs, who, on the June
27 edition of his CNN show, wailed about the Bush Administration's
silence "about the red storm that is hitting our shores." Sure enough,
later in Dobbs's broadcast was a story about "the second shark attack in
three days"!

But it's not just mainstream nationalists like Dobbs--China panic can
also be found at the progressive end of the spectrum. Also on June 27,
Public Citizen put out a statement titled "When China Owns Our
Utilities." Citing the "national security concerns" surrounding the
CNOOC bid for Unocal, the Naderite group worried that as part of
comprehensive energy legislation, Congress was about to repeal the
Public Utility Holding Company Act of 1935 (PUHCA), which prohibits
foreign ownership of US electric and gas utilities. Public Citizen
president Joan Claybrook laid it on thick: "Imagine the potential for
chaos if a foreign power--especially an unpredictable, potentially
hostile state like China--had the controls to our electricity grid or,
worse yet, the keys to the deadly nuclear materials located at our
commercial nuclear reactors." There are many reasons to be worried about
the repeal of PUHCA--it would reduce regulation and promote endless
mergers--but why the over-the-top language about the Chinese threat?

China panic is a hardy perennial in American political culture, across
the political spectrum. As Dana Frank noted in her excellent 1999 book,
/Buy American: The Untold Story of Economic Nationalism/, Samuel
Gompers, who emerged as the leader of the AFL in the 1880s, agitated for
the exclusion of Chinese goods and Chinese immigrants from the United
States--they were a threat to "free white labor." William Randolph
Hearst filled his papers with frightening reports about the "yellow
peril" at our shores. In 1920 one Lothrop Stoddard published a
bestseller called /The Rising Tide of Color Against White
World-Supremacy/, whose title pretty much tells its story. The
Depression of the 1930s gave new energy to the xenophobia; Hearst had
Stoddard write stories for his papers, whipping up fears of Asian racial
evil.

Much of the current discourse around China is an echo of late-1980s
anxieties about the Japanese threat: after having destroyed our
industrial base through "unfair" competition, the Japanese had moved on
to buying up US assets, like Treasury bonds, Rockefeller Center and MCA.
The real threat, of course, was that the United States was facing a
serious economic competitor, a very unfamiliar situation. That it was
Asian gave the anxious a deep toxic reservoir to draw upon. Then the
Japanese bubble burst, and the threat of the yellow peril receded. But
it's back again, this time with a Chinese face.

There are so many contradictions surrounding this issue that it's hard
to keep your eyes from crossing. Dobbs's panic about the "red storm"
makes it hard to tell where cold war anticommunism ends and capitalist
anxiety about a new competitor begins. In describing Unocal during his
rant, Dobbs casually mentioned its holdings in Asia (home to some 70
percent of its assets, to be exact); apparently it's OK for us to own
them, just not for them to own us. Among the 398 votes in favor of the
House resolution were scores of professed free-traders; more than 250 of
them voted for the US-Australia free trade agreement, on which a No vote
was one of Public Citizen's legislative priorities last year. Meanwhile,
China, still run by a nominally communist party, is lecturing Congress
to back off and get politics out of business, thereby usurping the usual
US role in international economic relations.

Americans love to externalize our problems. One of the reasons Chinese
entities have the cash to buy US assets is that we keep importing huge
gobs of stuff from them; what else are they supposed to do with all
those dollars? Do we really want them to stop buying billions in
Treasury bonds, a constant torrent of fresh cash that allows us to keep
importing more than we export? Instead of talking about a rational
energy policy, we obsess about a nonexistent threat to our national
security. And instead of getting used to the fact that the era of
unrivaled US dominance of the world won't last forever, Congress puts on
its best King Canute act. So many sharks in the water!