Re: Chinese media coverage of Iraq invasion

From mnedctxt@socrates.berkeley.edu
Date Thu, 26 May 2005 09:44:33 -0700

Dear Steve and Tom:

I second the thanks on posting this piece. As members may (or may
not) know, Li Xiguang developed his distaste for US mainstream media
as an intern at the Washington Post. He got to see how our
zhongxuanbu (central propaganda department) operates firsthand, and
does not discern a significant difference between
corporate-controlled western media and state-controlled Chinese media
(except in their point of view).

It is in this context that his anger about western (specifically
Murdoch) ownership of Chinese media resonates. Large US media organs
are unlikely to ever be owned by Chinese interests (at least
English-language ones). Granted, Phoenix is more "fair and balanced"
than Fox News, and generally well-respected, but I fully expect a
backlash at some point against this sell off of strategic assets to
foreign interests for short-term monetary gain.

Re: coverage of the war, I suspect a tacit agreement between
Washington and Beijing. In exchange for not whipping up public anger
against our military adventure (ala Serbia 1999), we will give you a
free pass with your ongoing crackdown on Muslims in Xinjiang (e.g.
designation of ETIM as a terrorist organization, which has never made
any sense except as part of some unholy pact).

Suppositions like the above are of course subject to the proverbial
"wilderness of mirrors" that grows murkier during war time. So I
follow the old dictate of "cui bono?", and in this case it's the
powers-that-be in D.C. and the CCP who benefit, and the Chinese
public and Uighurs who get shafted.