Re: "Slave State?"

From Jonathan Lassen <jjlassen@chinastudygroup.org>
Date Thu, 14 Oct 2004 11:30:34 -0500
In-reply-to <6b.364b46b9.2e9fc2e9@aol.com>
References <6b.364b46b9.2e9fc2e9@aol.com>
User-agent Mozilla Thunderbird 0.6 (Windows/20040502)

I missed the debate and the spin last night, thanks for mentioning this.

Coulter's rhetoric is a bit overblown, but I don't think her sentiment
is completely over the top. Slavery is the typical case of the absence
of freedom, and this is a common trope for both wings of the US state
and in common discourse as well. The AFL-CIO's case that China is
engaging in unfair trade is also the absence of bourgeious freedoms in
China, and  you hear stuff like this ad nauseum in the press of the
'free world.'

The idea of 'generalized slavery' in 'Oriental despotism' is a
strikingly common idea in European thought, from Montesquieu on. This is
the secret history of the discourse on 'civil society' in China.

Cheers,

Jonathan