Laogai in Contemporary China, A Query

From mpareles@uchicago.edu
Date Tue, 27 Apr 2004 03:49:37 +0100
In-reply-to <1082149234.408049725603c@webmail.uchicago.edu>
References <1082149234.408049725603c@webmail.uchicago.edu>
User-agent Internet Messaging Program (IMP) 3.1

Zhongguo members,

I am doing some research for a short paper (about 25 pages) on laogai.  I have
been having trouble finding resources from more objective or even pro-laogai
sources. It seems as though most of the literature available is in the form of
dissident memiors and information from Harry Wu's Laogai Research Institute.
Unfortunately, a search of the Chinese embassy website turned up a few links,
none of which I could access.
I am looking for general laogai informational resources but in particular, I
am looking for an English translation of the recent "Law of Prisons."  More
importantly, I was hoping somebody could point me in the direction of some
resources that discuss when laogai became a for-profit venture, and
information about the laogai and laogai policy post-1978.  Any help would be
greatly appreciated.

Truly,
Michael