Re: unitedskins.com ~ It's about time

From "Me Uh, K." <pram512@yahoo.com>
Date Tue, 16 Nov 1999 12:15:47 -0800 (PST)

[: hacktivism :]

Comments Interjected for your Reading Pleasure

--- Legba Carrefour <legba@atheist.com> wrote:
> [: hacktivism :]
>
> Whee. Supressing free speech is the answer to our
> problems!
>
> This sounds like a "free speech for me but not for
> thee". Hacktivism
> isn't about suppressing someone's right to free
> speech, it's about
> enabling free speech, enabling the flow of
> information to the people who
> are lied to or have no idea about the issue at all.

Arguably, though, you cannot effectively implement
your right to free speech without stepping on the toes
of another.  (there are almost always proper outlets
for any school of thought you may have, but chances
are, no one who doesn't all ready agree with you will
ever see it)
hence, politically motivated hacking.
granted - hacking something as specific as a
white-pride site, the only people who're going to see
it are the people who would normally view the site;
and not likely to consider anything you post as more
than a major irritation, keeping them from their 'how
to make a good noose' materials. (or whatever it is
that they use those sites for)

> White supremacist web sites are NOT in the majority
> and there is PLENTY
> of information to counter it. What REALLY scares me
> are the attempts by
> the Anti-Defamation League to have hate speech
> censored. That is a
> dangerous step to take.

agreed. - the problem with all that other information,
is that you have to be interested to read it.  I can't
really picture your average white-supremey heading
over to lycos to search for 'improving race relations'
- you know?  (for the record, an educated essay
(written with small words) and a bunch of links would
have made for better content than what they threw up)

> And I don't care whether the censors are government
> or private, if we
> deny them the right to speak, we are chipping away
> at our own rights.

Hacking a site, while censorship, is totally
temporary.  You cannot permenantly alter a site when
someone else owns the hardware.  Worst case scenario;
they have to replace the hard drive on the server -
and even that's not an easy or likely thing to do.
Which is why I'm all for it; private censorship -
spread the word, give the offending parties a headache
or two, and in a few hours, or a few days, depending,
everything is back to normal; thier rights of
expression restored.

> Legba Carrefour
-mia k.