Cybersquatting: Class War Domain Dispute? malloryhotel.com/org

From Flint Jones <flint@mobtown.org>
Date Mon, 8 Nov 1999 10:27:23 -0500 (EST)

[: hacktivism :]

Instead of waxing on the theoretical problem of what the cybersquatting
bill the House recently passed, how about we talk about an actual struggle
involving domain names.

The workers at Mallory Hotel have been unjustly fired for trying to
organize a union.  They are fighting it.  As part of that fight, the union
is supporting them... part of which is providing them with services like a
website for them to publicize their struggle, malloryhotel.org.  The
bosses, Malco, own malloryhotel.com and want to shut down the workers
rights to use the malloryhotel.org domain name.

We aren't calling for any action on the hacktivist front, yet.  However,
we would like advice on how to best proceed.  And, if you wanted to send
solidarity messages, money or your willing to walk picket with them in
Portland... please do.

This should be a fairly big deal since, ofcourse, we have no intention of
ever selling Malco the malloryhotel.org domain.  Its a rather novel
occurance, and a winnable free speech fight.

So... discuss.

Solid,
	Flint