Re: TEMPEST - WIRED NEWSARTICLE

From "piLL" <pill@atomic3d.com>
Date Tue, 26 Oct 1999 21:20:38 -0700
Organization piLLworLd
References <19991027023752.42329.qmail@hotmail.com>

or maybe a 'jamming' device would make the emissions unreadable :)

So, basically its telling us encryption is pointless. because they can see our monitor displays, probably from space! :(

next we will find out that crt monitors can somehow act like video cameras too...

hmm, so is MS teamed up with the government, or is gates our protector from the eveil government? think about that..
microsoft may control everything, whats the government gonna do? So, DOJ splits up microsoft, reducing their power?...

man, this little newsletter has me thinking :) got some cool story ideas already ;P

piLL

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Tuesday, October 26, 1999 7:37 PM
Subject: Re: TEMPEST - WIRED NEWSARTICLE

[: hacktivism :]

I wish I could site a URL, but I've also read that receiving monitor
emissions is not hard (for the NSA); see Information Warfare and Security by
Dorothy Denning of Georgetown Univ.

I understand protecting against this would require lead, but what about just
alumimun foil on the windows or a steel mesh (like in Enemy of the State).
Any chance these would protect against this?