Re: intro questions

From "Me Uh, K." <pram512@yahoo.com>
Date Wed, 20 Oct 1999 12:27:21 -0700 (PDT)

[: hacktivism :]

I'm only answering questions I (for sure) know the
answers to.

--- 4 2 <starlightdove@hotmail.com> wrote:
> [: hacktivism :]
>
> Hi,
>
> So most people on this list probably know the
> answers to these questions
> like the back of their hands, but, well...I don't,
> so I'm asking anyway.
>
> 1.  How do I keep my e-mail secure and private?  Is
> there such a thing?  Do
> I need to use PGP?

YES!  PGP still won't make your email secure, but the
chances of anyone wanting to get into your email
enough to take the time to crack a good 128 bit key
are really really slim.

> 2.  What's this about proxys and cookies?

That's technical, detailed and long.  Proxy servers
are pretty good, so long as you trust them, (ie - you
configured it, not your boss:) and cookies might be
satan incarnate, but a good solid 1/3 (at least) of
the web is unviewable with cookies.  (my personal
theory on them is that they're all right, so long as
the information your computer has about you is a
fithly lie and you've got ActiveX (windows) disabled)

> 3.  How do I stop from getting spam and stupid chain
> letters?

Lots of ways, none of them full-proof - try searching
for "Filters" or "Spam Filters" to find out LOTS of
good tips

> 4.  How come every time I try to unsubscribe from a
> list that I haven't even
> asked to be put on (on onelist, or wherever) it
> doesn't work?

[Shrug]  you don't follow directions well?

> 5.  If I get unsubbed from a list that I have not
> unsubbed myself from, and  I've recieved no >
confirmation of it, does that mean somebody got into >
my account?

Not nessecarily.  Is the list still there?  (the whole
server may have been taken down)  but it's a
possibility.

> 6.  How do I stop people from getting into my
> account?  (Other than changing my password over and
over again).

Depends on what kind of account it is.  If it's a
webbased email, forget about having any kind of
security (strange advice from a girl using yahoo mail,
isn't it?).  If you're using a more conventional
method, network security is the best place to start.
(well, a long, semi-random alpha-numeric password is
the best place to start :)

> 7.  Aren't there ways of getting my password using a
> numerical sequencer thing that just comes right back
> on when it gets booted off?

Yes.  Lots of them.  Your passwords can also be
sniffed in transit...  You computer can be compromised
with a tool like Back Orifice
(http://www.cultdeadcow.com for info - in case you
don't know), someone can spoof the login screen of a
webbased server and send it to you contained as
java/javascript in an email, fooling you into mailing
your password to them...  there are a lot of ways to
get your passwords.

> 8.  What's this about hushmail?  Is it secure or is
> it just some kind of conspiracy to get me and all of
> my friends to switch over?

As I understand it, hushmail is about the most secure
webased email.  Of course, trying to keep webbased
email secure is kind of like trying to figure out if
jello is a solid or liquid - it can be done, but it
takes a lot of time, and in the end, you're not sure
if it was worth it. :)

> 9.  How many places does each e-mail I write go to
> before it reaches it's
> (hopefully) final destination?  Is there any way to
> minimize this?

I don't know.  I prefer not to think of such things.

> 10. How do I know this list isn't being archived
> somewhere?

You don't, for sure.  For all you know, I might be
keeping 19 copies of each and every email you send
through the list, so I can sell them to the CIA for 12
cents a pop.  (come to think of it, isn't the archive
hidden in plain sight on the webpage?)

> Thanks!!
for all the help I was.  ;)
-mia k. (big brother is watching, learn to be
invisible.  smile.)