a great day for an action of some sort

From "Robert Kemp" <sensuant@hotmail.com>
Date Tue, 12 Oct 1999 00:08:01 EDT

[: hacktivism :]

----Original Message Follows----
From: "Thomas Johansson" <j18media12@hotbot.com>
To: undisclosed-recipients:;
Subject: GLOBAL DAY OF ACTION NOVEMBER 30, 1999
Date: Sun, 10 Oct 1999 22:06:49 -0500 (CDT)

GLOBAL DAY OF ACTION NOVEMBER 30, 1999

LET OUR RESISTANCE BE AS TRANSNATIONAL AS CAPITAL!

November 30th, 1999

A Global Day of Action, Resistance, and Carnival Against the Global
Capitalist System

Activists from diverse groups and movements around the world are
discussing, networking and organising for an INTERNATIONAL DAY OF
ACTION on November 30th. On this day, officials of 150 governments will
meet in Seattle for the 3rd conference of the World Trade Organisation
(WTO), at which they will decide on new policies that will further
escalate the exploitation of our planet and its people by the global
capitalist system.  Thus, there will be attempts to push through a new
version of the Multilateral Agreement on Investment (MAI), strengthen
intellectual property rights, and further neoliberalization through a
new round of free trade talks.

A coalition of radical ACTIVISTS has been formed in Seattle to stage
actions against the conference, and activist groups around the world
are planning to converge on the city. Also, the international Peoples
Global Action (PGA) network and the IWW(International Workers of the
World) are planning ACTIONS AGAINST THE WTO around the world.
Meanwhile, various grassroots  groups prepare to take action in their
own parts of the world in recognition that the CAPITALIST SYSTEM, based
on the exploitation of people, societies and the environment for the
profit of a few, is the PRIME CAUSE of present SOCIAL AND ECOLOGICAL
TROUBLES.

In view of these developments, we now call for SYMPATHETIC COMMUNITIES,
GRASSROOTS GROUPS, AND INDIVIDUALS around the world to organise their
OWN AUTONOMOUS ACTIONS, protests, and carnivals against the capitalist
system on November 30th. Our simultaneous TRANSFORMATION OF THE
CAPITALIST SOCIAL ORDER around the world - in the streets,
neighbourhoods, fields, factories, offices, commercial centres,
financial districts, and so on- would contribute to the process of
bringing separate struggles together and BUILDING ALTERNATIVE SOCIAL
AND ECONOMIC STRUCTURES based on co-operation, ecological
sustainability, and grassroots  democracy.

This call is made in the spirit of continuing the process of building a
strong, bold, and CREATIVE GRASSROOTS MOVEMENT against the economic and
political institutions of capitalism. For as we realise that no issue
is isolated, be it exploitation of workers, the peasant farmers going
bankrupt, the indigenous peoples getting displaced by
"development"programmes or our environment being destroyed, we also
realise that we must act together and UNITE OUR STRUGGLES AGAINST the
social, political, and economic institutions of THE CAPITALIST SYSTEM.
Only a strong and united movement of grassroots groups who struggle
independent of these institutions and seek to effect change directly
through their own autonomous action can dissolve their power and BUILD
A BETTER SOCIAL ORDER based on grassroots organisation.

Our simultaneous occupation and transformation of economic centres
around the globe on November 30th, and our preparations leading up to
this, would be an essential contribution to the process of making
local, national, and international connections. The day would BRING
DIFFERENT MOVEMENTS TOGETHER in solidarity with one another and
strengthen the mutual bonds of otherwise disparate groups - workers,
the unemployed, students, trade unionists, peasants, the landless,
fishers, women groups, ethnic minorities, indigenous peoples, peace
activists, environmental activists, ecologists, and so on. This process
could be continued through FURTHER GLOBAL DAYS OF ACTION IN THE FUTURE
- MAYDAY 2000, for instance, has been pointed out as a perfect symbolic
and real opportunity to escalate our resistance.

The PRESENT PROPOSAL of a November 30th global day of action FOLLOWS
from the success of the co-ordinated global day of action on JUNE 18TH
this year, and is intended to expand on it in the same spirit.  On that
day, separate grassroots movements in over 30 countries on all
continents worked together and JOINED FORCES AGAINST THE GLOBAL
CAPITALIST SYSTEM. The day saw for instance marches by workers in
Bangladesh and Pakistan; a fake trade fair by Uruguayan activists;
thousands of people in a carnival in London's financial district;
occupations and street parties in Spain, Italy, USA, and Canada; ten
thousand people in Nigeria protesting the oil industry and imperialism;
and, in Melbourne, a prominent politician hit with a cream pie and a
logging multinational blockaded with dead wombats. (For more
information, see:  http://www.infoshop.org/june18.html and
http://www.j18.org

The November 30th global day of action would be organised in a
non-hierarchical way, as a DECENTRALISED AND INFORMAL NETWORK of
autonomous groups that struggle for solidarity and co-operation while
employing non-authoritarian, grassroots democratic forms of
organisation. Each event or ACTION would be ORGANISED AUTONOMOUSLY BY
EACH GROUP, while coalitions of various movements and groups could be
formed at the local, regional, and national levels. A strategy that may
be useful at the local level is that various groups co-operate in
creating a surrounding ATMOSPHERE OF CARNIVAL and festivity as a
setting for their various actions. Examples of conceivable actions
are:

street parties   strikes   handing out flyers   street theatre
pickets   demonstrations   occupations of offices   blockades and
shutdowns   building gardens   speeches   appropriation and disposal of
luxury consumer goods   critical mass bike rides   banner hangings
sabotaging, wrecking, or interfering with capitalist infrastructure
carnivals   appropriating capitalist wealth and returning it to the
working people handing out free food   mock trade fairs   marches
music   dancing   solidarity actions   declaring oneself independent
from global capitalism and authoritarian governments   setting up
grassroots' community councils and holding meetings outside city
halls   setting up economic alternatives, like workers' co-operatives
offering no interest loans outside major banks   reclaiming space
(streets, government land, office buildings, etc.) for living, playing,
etc.   free distribution of community controlled newspapers

Your INITIATIVE AND PARTICIPATION, no matter how small, are crucial to
the success of the November 30th day of action in your location. This
proposal needs to be spread and discussed, perhaps translated; meetings
need to be organised; EVENTS PLANNED; leaflets printed and distributed;
funds raised; laughter and conversation shared.

If you, or your group, plan actions on November 30th, please let others
know as soon as possible, to FACILITATE NETWORKING and communication,
as well as International media efforts. Please send your contact
information to: n30contacts@angelfire.com

Your contact information may be included in an international contacts
list. The more detailed information you send (land address, phone
number, fax number, email address), the better it is, but, for your own
security, please do not include any contact information that you prefer
not to be made public.

We expect to COMMUNICATE INTERNATIONALLY PRIMARILY BY EMAIL, and so
encourage all groups and individuals who plan to take action to
subscribe to suitable mailing lists, and in general make efforts to
STAY IN TOUCH through this and other means. There is a list of
available mailing lists in the appendix below. Please join one, and
SHARE YOUR THOUGHTS and plans with the rest of us.

This proposal must be translated into as MANY LANGUAGES as possible,
and as soon as possible, since the availability of translations will
very much affect our chances of spreading it at a truly global level.
If you wish to translate it into some language, please start as soon as
possible, and let the rest of us know that you are doing it. Write
N30contacts@angelfire.com with offers or requests for translations.

Please FORWARD THIS PROPOSAL to appropriate lists and to people who
will be interested, reproduce it and circulate, put it on a web site,
and most importantly, ACT.

NOVEMBER 30 GLOBAL DAY OF ACTION COLLECTIVE
N30 c/o IWW
5215 Ballard NW
Seattle, WA. 98107
(206)706-6250
http://go.to/n30

APPENDIX:

I. Mailing lists

II. References

I. Mailing lists

THE NOVEMBER 30 DISCUSSION LIST: This list allows for participants
around the globe to co-ordinate and discuss the November 30th global
day of action. Subscribers will receive information and updates about
the N30 preparations around the world. To subscribe, go to:
http://n30.listbot.com

THE NO2WTO DISCUSSION LIST: This discussion list has been set up to
generate and co-ordinate networking among people interested in radical
mobilisation in Seattle for WTO (as in contrast to the generally
reformist tendencies of the general Seattle coalition).  Subscribe and
unsubscribe directly from:  http://no2wto.listbot.com/

II. References

NOVEMBER 30 DAY OF ACTION WEB SITE The November 30th website will
contain information and updates about the November 30th preparations
around the world, a regularly updated list of participating groups
around the world, announcements of language specific mailing lists, WTO
info, etc:  http://go.to/n30

GENERAL SEATTLE anti-WTO Activities:
http://www.seattle99.org

JUNE 18th global day of action:
http://www.j18.org/
http://www.infoshop.org/june18.html

Peoples Global Action against 'Free' Trade and the WTO (PGA):
mailto:pga@agp.org
http://www.agp.org/agp/index.html

The World Trade Organisation:
http://www.wto.org/

HotBot - Search smarter.
http://www.hotbot.com

In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. section 107, this
material is distributed without charge or profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving this type
of information for non-profit research and educational
purposes only.

http://echelon.wiretapped.net

"To be truly radical, one must make hope
possible, rather than despair convincing."
- Raymond Williams